Insulating Wooden Exterior Door Not In Use For Winter - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-20-2015, 07:52 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Insulating wooden exterior door not in use for winter

We have a nice wood front door that does not get used during the winter... There is a glass door too. Well it's quite cold over by that door and thought about putting some insulation between the glass and wood door.. Any advice on what type to use. Could be the stiff foam? If it's not a perfect fit do I fail at it..?
dwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2015, 08:11 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,880

If it's cold then you have air leaks. Figure out where there coming from and fix that.
Old house?
When checking any door for leaks I check to see if I can move the door in or out by pushing and pulling on the door knob.
If it moves open the door and look in the strike plate hole to see if there's a rectangular hole in the tab.
If so it's there so you can insert a flat screw driver to bend it out to tighten the door against the stops.
Lowes and Home Depot carry aluminum strips with built in seals in the area where they sell thresholds that get cut to fit with a hack saw and screwed to the jambs that work great.
Lots of times it's leaking at the threshold.
More involved but if there's not an adjustable sill it may be time to add one.
Door needs to come off for this one to be cut to make room for it and the needed new sweep on the bottom of the door.
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2015, 08:21 AM   #3

It's actually quite tight and fully weather stripped all around...

My thought is the wood itself is just not good insulating. It's frame and panel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2015, 09:37 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 198

what joe said. but if you are confident in the air sealing. you can get some denim insulation and pack it in there = have fun with that.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 09:49 AM   #5

Curious how you would apply the denim insulation. That would be removed after winter. It's a nice wooden door that I would want to mar as little as possible.

Last edited by dwolf; 02-21-2015 at 09:53 AM.
Old 02-21-2015, 11:13 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 254

It seems to me that a sheet of 1inch insulation could be cut to fit the opening between the door and the glass. Whatever is left over could also be cut and taped to the larger sheet.

Around here, it is about $11 a sheet.
MT Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 05:09 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 198

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwolf View Post
Curious how you would apply the denim insulation. That would be removed after winter. It's a nice wooden door that I would want to mar as little as possible.
you cut and tape it as best you can to make it fit snug between the doors. then close it in between the doors. i have never worked with the stuff. but by looking at pics of it, it seems like it would not be hard to make a panel that would nearly stand up by itself. or at least close enough to let you get it to stay till you got a door closed.

i recommend denim = less likely to mar the doors.

just thought. you could use spray glue and a bed sheet to wrap the denim. this way it could be easily reused each year.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement