Insulating/venting Shed - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree11Likes

Old 08-09-2017, 12:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 12

Insulating/venting shed

Hi. New to forum and diy, so please be kind.

I am converting a shed into a studio for music and am currently stuck. It has a corrugated metal roof laid over wood planks. I haven't yet looked too see what, if anything, is between metal roofing and wood planks. Someone has already put insulation batt in rafters. I want to drywall the ceiling for a more finished look.

Should I:
1) leave insulation, put up sheetrock for ceiling and call it good.
2) take out insulation and put new insulation in ceiling joists instead, then do sheetrock.
3) leave insulation in rafters AND add insulation in joists and then sheetrock.
4) do any of the preceding ideas and add some sort of vent(s)

I live in Seattle. The enclosed space ("attic"), after adding sheet rock we'll measure only approximately 100 cubic feet.

The "living space" is well ventilated with two windows.

Attached are some pictures.

Thank you for any help you offer.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Insulating/venting shed-20170809_094131_1502297939338.jpg   Insulating/venting shed-20170809_094102_1502298055099.jpg  
Kunkel19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2017, 03:03 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 364

Re: Insulating/venting shed

Will you be cooling or heating the shed.
Nealtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2017, 03:15 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 124

Hi Kunkel and welcome to the forum.
If you add drywall across the bottoms of those ceiling joists then you do not want the insulation in the rafters. A standard approach would be to move that insulation down to the ceiling and then create some ventilation for the attic space above. There is not a lot of room up there and I doubt you will need to meet local energy codes for this small space but as much as reasonably possible would be good. Soffit vents for low venting and ridge or gable vents for high.

Bud
Bud9051 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2017, 05:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
Will you be cooling or heating the shed.
Good question. In the coldest months of winter, I will be using an oil-filled space heater.

Joe
Old 08-09-2017, 06:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud9051 View Post
Hi Kunkel and welcome to the forum.
If you add drywall across the bottoms of those ceiling joists then you do not want the insulation in the rafters. A standard approach would be to move that insulation down to the ceiling and then create some ventilation for the attic space above. There is not a lot of room up there and I doubt you will need to meet local energy codes for this small space but as much as reasonably possible would be good. Soffit vents for low venting and ridge or gable vents for high.

Bud
Thanks for the response and welcome, Bud.

Is the venting going to be more about moisture or energy codes? Would I need to do BOTH ridge venting and soffit venting? Attached is what the eaves look like. The soffit venting might look like something in the second picture, yes?Insulating/venting shed-20170809_155413-1-.jpg

Name:  soffit.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  4.9 KB
Nealtw likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kunkel19 For This Useful Post:
AIRLOCK (08-19-2017)
Old 08-09-2017, 06:06 PM   #6
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunkel19 View Post
Good question. In the coldest months of winter, I will be using an oil-filled space heater.

Joe
If you are not adding heat or cooling insulation is a waste of effort.

I would pull the insulation and make sure you have venting under the eaves on both sides. If you can't get venting at the ridge then second best would be a small vent one each gable end. Lay non papered batts across the joists and then the paper faced between the joists. In order to stop the insulation from blocking the vents at the eaves you would need chute stapled to the roof sheeting.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/ADO-Produ...4480/100533902

That will save you a few degrees in summer and really help in the winter.
When you do drywall it will want to be taped filled and painted to keep moist out of the attic,
jlhaslip likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nealtw For This Useful Post:
AIRLOCK (08-19-2017)
Old 08-09-2017, 06:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
If you are not adding heat or cooling insulation is a waste of effort.

I would pull the insulation and make sure you have venting under the eaves on both sides. If you can't get venting at the ridge then second best would be a small vent one each gable end. Lay non papered batts across the joists and then the paper faced between the joists. In order to stop the insulation from blocking the vents at the eaves you would need chute stapled to the roof sheeting.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/ADO-Produ...4480/100533902

That will save you a few degrees in summer and really help in the winter.
When you do drywall it will want to be taped filled and painted to keep moist out of the attic,
Thanks for all the info! If the insulation isn't wet or crushed at all, do you think I could reuse it?

Joe
The Following User Says Thank You to Kunkel19 For This Useful Post:
AIRLOCK (08-19-2017)
Old 08-09-2017, 06:19 PM   #8
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunkel19 View Post
Thanks for all the info! If the insulation isn't wet or crushed at all, do you think I could reuse it?

Joe
Let it dry if it is wet. Just throw it out in the sun for a few days.It is just glass.
Old 08-09-2017, 06:20 PM   #9

Venting the attic space is about moisture. During cold conditions any air that seeps through to that space will find a cold roof and form condensation/ice.

You would want some of each, high and low venting. I don't think the normal rules apply as no showers, large gatherings, cooking (minimal), and other normal moisture sources so some venting is probably close enough.

Is that heater you are considering vented to the outside. Being a combustion appliance it will also need combustion air coming in. If well insulated electric heat might be more appropriate for that size space.

Bud
Nealtw likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bud9051 For This Useful Post:
AIRLOCK (08-19-2017)
Old 08-09-2017, 06:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud9051 View Post
Venting the attic space is about moisture. During cold conditions any air that seeps through to that space will find a cold roof and form condensation/ice.

You would want some of each, high and low venting. I don't think the normal rules apply as no showers, large gatherings, cooking (minimal), and other normal moisture sources so some venting is probably close enough.

Is that heater you are considering vented to the outside. Being a combustion appliance it will also need combustion air coming in. If well insulated electric heat might be more appropriate for that size space.

Bud
It's one of these jobbers in the picture below. I don't think combustion is part of it. Maybe I misnamed it?

I have a working wall mounted electric heater I was considering actually...

Name:  heater.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  2.5 KB
Old 08-09-2017, 06:44 PM   #11

If the one pictured is oil filled electric that would be fine, the oil adds mass to release the heat at a slower rate. But ant electric heater would be fine. Let the hot air blow through a stack of bricks and you have the mass advantage. The key is, for a small space you don't want any combustion.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bud9051 For This Useful Post:
AIRLOCK (08-19-2017)
Old 08-11-2017, 04:55 PM   #12

To help me with my understanding, could someone please explain why it would not be good to put up drywall and just leave insulation in rafters?

Thanks,
Joe
Old 08-11-2017, 07:51 PM   #13

Small amounts of moisture are still going to move through drywall due to its permeance. Same reason food products get freezer burn when wrapped in plastic, the moisture can move through it. With fiber insulation it traps that moisture and creates the conditions necessary for mold. Different type of ceiling but same results pictured in this link.
http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/...hedral-ceiling

Bud
Old 08-17-2017, 04:57 PM   #14

[QUOTE=Bud9051;4515881]Small amounts of moisture are still going to move through drywall due to its permeance. Same reason food products get freezer burn when wrapped in plastic, the moisture can move through it. With fiber insulation it traps that moisture and creates the conditions necessary for mold. Different type of ceiling but same results pictured in this link.

Thanks again. So I thought there was Ridge venting because of foam I saw under cap. When I took the cap off, I found this (picture). To make this an actual vent, do I need to saw a hole through this black paper to the open air in the attic below?
Attached Thumbnails
Insulating/venting shed-15030070397931623760429_1503007058263.jpg  
Old 08-17-2017, 05:18 PM   #15

If there was an actual ridge vent over that and it was intended to be ventilation and not decoration then the black paper, underlayment, should probably have been cut away to permit air flow. I hedge a little as this is a shed and hard to be positive from my chair.

Bud
Nealtw likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement