Insulating A Small Roof/soffit Section - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-31-2019, 12:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Insulating a small roof/soffit section

I have an issue where cold air is coming into one of our upstairs bedrooms. You can feel the cold air in the floor. It seems to be coming in where we have a smaller roof section on the back of our house. The roof isn't part of our main attic -- it is more of a decorative section to help break up the house. We had insulators come and they drilled holes in the bedroom floor along the baseboard and blew in insulation, but it still feels quite cold. This room is also the farthest away from our furnace, and I think there isn't quite as much heat getting to it. I just wanted to see if anyone had advice on how to insulate it. Is it ok to insulate over the soffit on this section since it's not really a true attic-type space? Would it be best to try removing the soffit from the outside and trying to blow insulation in that way?

I'll comment again with an image of what I'm talking about.
bach13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2019, 12:21 PM   #2

Re: Insulating a small roof/soffit section

I attached an image of our house with the section I'm talking about circled in red.
Attached Thumbnails
Insulating a small roof/soffit section-house-backside.png  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2019, 12:24 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 92

Yes, pictures inside and outside would help.
My first thought (wild guess) is the small roof section may not be air sealed away from the framing cavities of the house. An example would be building that roof before they applied the sheathing, but a guess.

What is below this bedroom?

Bud

OK, you got that in while I was posting .
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2019, 12:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud9051 View Post
Yes, pictures inside and outside would help.
My first thought (wild guess) is the small roof section may not be air sealed away from the framing cavities of the house. An example would be building that roof before they applied the sheathing, but a guess.

What is below this bedroom?

Bud

OK, you got that in while I was posting .
Below the bedroom is our dining room and part of our kitchen. Along the ceiling/wall seam there is some condensation that develops on extremely cold days.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:40 PM   #5
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 818

Try to reduce the humidity on the immediate term.

With regards to that space, while they are treated as vented in many cases, they are never done properly as there is never any exhaust.

Is the roof due to be done soon? If so, that is the time to demo that area and I would just insulate it at that point. You have two options:
-Insulated and air seal the floor of that area and provide for some exhaust air along the roof-wall intersection...or...
-Spray foam the area and treat it as conditioned if you can get some air circulation in there via the HVAC access.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 12:54 PM   #6

What is covering the bottom of that overhang? is it a perforated soffit?

Bud
Old 01-31-2019, 01:09 PM   #7

Quote:
What is covering the bottom of that overhang? is it a perforated soffit?

Bud
I think it is perforated soffit. I think it's alternating where there are some sections perforated and some are solid. I'll have to take a look when I get home.
Old 01-31-2019, 01:15 PM   #8
APA

Rewards Points: 382

If it has soffit, you can remove the soffit and stuff some insulation in the cavity. It's not perfect air sealing, but it made a world of difference in a similar situation for me. I am going to do it right when the weather warms. You have warm inside air hitting a freezing cold wall, hence the moisture. Stuffing the insulation would help...
APA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 01:15 PM   #9

Perforated is usually vinyl and can be removed to see what was done to the exterior wall. if it is cold vinyl can break easily. if there is no or missing sheathing then that's a problem. Most likely no house wrap and possibly a seam at 8' in the sheathing. All seams and gaps would need to be sealed.

Take a picture.

Bud
Old 01-31-2019, 09:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Perforated is usually vinyl and can be removed to see what was done to the exterior wall. if it is cold vinyl can break easily. if there is no or missing sheathing then that's a problem. Most likely no house wrap and possibly a seam at 8' in the sheathing. All seams and gaps would need to be sealed.

Take a picture.

Bud
Ok I checked and it's not perforated. It is the solid aluminum type. Too cold to do anything with it right now, but maybe I can take a peak once it warms up.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:51 PM   #11
retired framer

Rewards Points: 308

Usually the skirt roof is just nailed on the side of the building but this may have extended floor joists missing the solid blocking over the wall between the joists. When you replace the soffit, use vinyl.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement