Insulating Small, Old Slanted Ceiling And Knee Walls In A Finished Attic Room. - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-30-2014, 02:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Insulating small, old slanted ceiling and knee walls in a finished attic room.

Hi folks, also posted this in a similar forum-

My first post! My wife and I just embarked on a fullscale rehab of our 200 year old house. The man, oldest part is a trinity with one room stacked on top of the other. The 3rd floor room is finished w/ slant ceilings and knee-walls with dormer window on each side of the slant. Nothing is insulated. It's a small room, about 10' x 10' x 6.5' (peak).

We just did the windows and had to cut holes in the knee wall under each dormer to repair damage from the old, poorly installed units. I'm also having a duct run up so needed one side a bit open anyhow. I wanted to insulate to some degree though figured I'd wait it out until maybe next summer, but now that some of the walls are open....

I'm hoping to keep the slant plaster/lath walls up and do something via the opened knee walls. Alternately, I'd be OK with drilling holes to pump something in. Basically want to get the best possible, realistic R-value. I don't expect to hit the 38 called for in Philadelphia...

I know this is very general advice seeking, but any suggestions to the "easiest" way to DIY this would be great. I'm hoping to seal the entire slant and pump cellulose into it. Anybody have experience with this sort of thing?

Last edited by cjs4775; 07-30-2014 at 02:37 PM.
cjs4775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2014, 11:52 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 1,054

Capes and sloped ceilings are tricky.

Post up a few pictures and I will give you some ideas.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement