Insulating Lean To Shed Roof? - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bud9051

Old 06-04-2017, 07:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

Insulating lean to shed roof?

Hi Guys. I live in a pretty damp environment here in Newfoundland. I am building a new 8x12 16"oc shed for myself with a lean to roof. I am insulating it, putting a heater in there. I am building the roof with 2x6 and putting R15 insulation in it, so there can be an air gap if needed. Should I leave room for air flow, vented soffits from front to back or seal it up tight? I will be putting up a vapor barrier also.
cabal2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2017, 08:18 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 108

Re: Insulating lean to shed roof?

Since it is going to be heated I would leave a space above the insulation ans screen in at upper and lower soffits, keep the bugs out.

A vapor barrier never works as an air barrier, too many holes, so the bottom of the rafters needs a complete cover to prevent air from reaching the cold roof.

If your inside activities will be generating a lot of moisture then that air sealing rises to imperative.

Bud
concretemasonry likes this.
Bud9051 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bud9051 For This Useful Post:
cabal2000 (06-09-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2017, 07:50 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4

Thanks BUD!!
Thats pretty much what I was thinking too. Was really hoping to be able to seal both ends of the joist up but leaving an air space is a far better choice for my environment.
cabal2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2017, 09:15 PM   #4

It's a small space so will your activities be generating any moisture. Inside a home, cooking, showers, and people produce a lot of moisture. In some environments the moisture problems come from outside like a coastal marine climate.

Bud
Old 06-10-2017, 08:36 AM   #5
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 262

Bud, would you consider spray foam for the semi flat roof, since there is no air gap like there is between a ceiling and roof? I should think the foam would eliminate most of the problems with air infiltration, moisture, etc. Just checking.
chandler48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 08:58 AM   #6

Yes, spray foam should be fine, probably should be covered as opposed to leaving exposed.

The real concern is the inside activity. Example, firewood storage can generate a lot of moisture (and bugs). Being a "damp environment here in Newfoundland" it could be best to keep all outside air "out".

If this will be on a concrete slab a vapor barrier under that slab would be good. Ground moisture can be a problem especially if heated.

OP, will this be heated all winter or intermittently as needed when you want to be out there?

Bud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement