Insulating Hot Water Pipes Over Roof - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Nealtw
  • 1 Post By Windows on Wash

Old 11-07-2017, 12:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 8

Insulating hot water pipes over roof

Need to replace insulation on hot water pipes that run over a flat (tar-and-gravel) roof. The pipes serve the house's hydronic baseboard heating system.

Previous owner had the pipes bracketed to 2x4 segments to keep them off the roof, and insulated with foam. Sun and weather have caused the foam strips to peel off, so I need to repair.

Any tips on what product to choose? So far I'm just looking for something affordable with a high R value. Is rubber or fiberglass better than foam? Does this situation with the 2x4s seem legit or can I improve on that as well?

eichlerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2017, 03:12 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 34

Re: Insulating hot water pipes over roof

Rubber is about twice the price of foam, but it should have a longer life time. It's your choice lower cost but more frequent repair, vs higher cost, longer lasting.
I don't think you will find anything higher than about r3 pipe insulation available.

I think the 2x4s are there to prevent the pipes from water daming on the roof. I'm not sure they are even attached to the roof. May simply be held in place by the pipes/gravity. (The baseboards with over the roof piping is a common repair for failed in-slab radiant heat piping originally used in Eichlers.)

Are your windows the original single panes, or have they been replaced ? The amount of glass is a big heat loss.

How about the roof ? Do you know if they ever improved the insulation in it. The original roofs would be considered under insulated by today's standards. Improvements there would also cut your heat losses.
Oso954 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2017, 03:45 PM   #3
retired framer

Rewards Points: 302

Build a box around them with 1" foam board, glue it with gorilla glue
Windows on Wash likes this.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2017, 03:53 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 8

Thank you very much! Exactly, the 2x4s aren't attached to the roof. Definitely understand the need to keep the pipes off the roof, but wasn't sure if this is the best way to do so.

Sadly most of our windows are single pane, and I'm not aware of any improvements to the roof insulation - it's certainly not a foam roof.

We've been in the house one full winter and the heating bill wasn't as bad as I feared, so until the current roof gives out, we're trying to make do with cheaper insulation fixes like curtains, and these roof pipes. Anything I can DIY is always good.
eichlerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 06:57 PM   #5
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 816

+1 to @Nealtw comment.

Nothing that you leave up there, exposed to the hot sun, is going to last that long uncovered.

You could probably build something around them for cheap and some sweat equity.
Nealtw likes this.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
flat roof , outdoor pipe insulation , pipes over roof