Insulating Garage/basement Ceiling? - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-24-2019, 10:10 PM   #1

insulating garage/basement ceiling?

I just recently bought a house. Over 50% of the basement walls are exposed due to living in the Appalachian foothills. I've noticed since I've moved in that the basement/garage is cool when I park my car once I get home from work and when i walk upstairs into the living area i can feel hot spots as i walk around. The past few days have been over 90⁰ and the ac runs all day. My question is would it be beneficial to put insulation in to help keep the cool air in the upper living area. The house was built in 1972 and the guy that owned it before me said he remodeled twice in the few years he owned it. I have no idea whether he ever replaced the insulation in the walls but I'm pretty sure he did the attic. I'd just like to know if the money would be well spent or if i should invest elsewhere. TIA
blackjapanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2019, 10:33 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,864

Re: insulating garage/basement ceiling?

Step 1 is figure out what kind of insulation you have. Insulating the upstairs to keep the heat out could potentially help but I don't like seeing basement ceilings insulated unless that space is not part of the conditioned air of the house.
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2019, 10:42 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 154

One good way to start is with a good energy evaluation. I'm a retired energy auditor and now do consulting and help local people make the choices you are looking for. An energy audit should identify what you have for insulation, air sealing, and where best to make improvements. In some states they have programs to do just that at reduced or no cost. But even if you have to pay for an audit, you should easily save enough on your energy bills to quickly recover that expense.

Check to see what your state offers.

Bud
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2019, 11:06 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies guys. I just went up into the attic and from the looks of it it hasn't been insulated in quite a few years. There is some insulation there but you can see all the wood from the ceiling joist. It's more like a thin layer laying just on top of the ceiling itself. I had read through my searching that most basements aren't insulated but most of the houses it was about had completely underground basements so I wasnt sure if it would make a difference or not. I'll try checking to see if I can see any wall insulation later but its difficult to get in and out of the attic since I don't have a ladder.
Old 05-24-2019, 11:33 PM   #5

Put that ladder on your list, a must for all home owners.
What you saw for attic insulation tells you the house hasn't been upgraded in a long time as the ceilings are the easiest. But there is a good side to it as air sealing should be done before all is buried in insulation.

Appalachian foothills covers a range, give us your nearest big city to narrow down your location and put that city in your profile as well for all readers to see.

Bud
Old 05-24-2019, 11:50 PM   #6

Lol it's on the list but I still haven't been here quite a month yet. I live in Alabama in a small town called Graysville about 25mins from Birmingham. How would I go about finding who to contact for the energy audit and the programs you were referring to? I'm a first time homeowner so this is all new territory for me.
Old 05-25-2019, 02:02 AM   #7
retired framer

Rewards Points: 576

The Weatherization Program is designed to save energy and enhance the self-sufficiency of low-income families by helping them to reduce their home heating and cooling bills. In order to receive assistance, the applicant's income must not exceed 150 percent of the established poverty level for the state of Alabama.
https://www.google.ca/search?ei=vefo...39.RnQaMXfjhEc
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 05:51 AM   #8

The weatherization programs vary from state to state. There is a thread here on "Mass Saves" Massachusetts version a weatherization program. Bottom line is they want as many people to sign up as possible as as improvements save energy for the whole country.

Take a look to see if Alabama's program will help you.

If not, I can do a basic evaluation for you and point you towards a free online software so you can DIY. I was a new home owner back in 68 and I sure wish they had a place like this to guide me. I'm just one of the many here who can help on all topics.

Bud
Advertisement