Insulating Existing Second Story Floor - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-30-2019, 03:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 7,354

Insulating existing second story floor

I'm going to be pulling up the old sub-floor on my second story and I'd like to put in insulation to help with sound transmission (looking at the rockwool safe and sound or some other dense fire barrier rated stuff.)

I was also thinking about tacking in some rigid foam insulation under the batt's - in the off chance I decide to remove the horrible popcorn ceilings downstairs someday.

A few questions;

1. Do I need to be worried about a moisture/vapor barrier between the insulation and the sheet rock ceiling below? Should I put down a vapor barrier under the new sub floor (3/4 plywood)?

2. Are there any concern's regarding the insulation being around my baseboard heating pipes and hot water pipes? (I do keep my water hotter than usual - boiler says it's set to 145*F [though its still not hot enough for my showers so I doubt it's making it anywhere at that temp.])

3. What about condensation on my cold water lines? - I was thinking to wrap the cold water pipes with foam pipe insulation just for good measure, should I do the hot water lines too?

(I'm not a professional, just a homeowner who dabbles in a bit of everything DIY)
Mystriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2019, 05:03 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 226

Re: Insulating existing second story floor

You don't need or probably want a vapor barrier between 2 conditioned spaces (floors 1 and 2).
there isn't concern about insulating around your heating pipes, the insulation should be able to handle heat.

I'll let someone else comment on wrapping pipes. Generally, insulating your hot water pipes is good. Depending on the set up and runs, if you have the insulation between floors covering the pipes, it may do the job for you. Cold water, I'm not sure if there is a benefit really.
Spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2019, 08:14 PM   #3
retired framer

Rewards Points: 866

If you have had condensation on the cold water pipe in there it will show evidence, then insulate the cold pipe. Other than that insulation of choice and carry on.
Nealtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2019, 08:37 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 7,354

Cool.

I was planning to insulate the cold water pipes because there was some condensation evidence inside a wall. I was hoping I could get a degree or two more warmth from wrapping the hot water pipes heh

(I'm not a professional, just a homeowner who dabbles in a bit of everything DIY)
Mystriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 08:41 PM   #5
retired framer

Rewards Points: 866

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystriss View Post
Cool.

I was planning to insulate the cold water pipes because there was some condensation evidence inside a wall. I was hoping I could get a degree or two more warmth from wrapping the hot water pipes heh
But you are covering them with insulation anyway.
Nealtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement