Insulating Basement Walls - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-26-2015, 10:19 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 52

Insulating basement walls

My house has a block foundation and it's pretty much bare right now which makes the basement really cold (currently 49 degrees down there). I'm looking for a way to insulate the foundation walls to stop the cold from seeping in.

I was at my buddy's house, which has a basement pretty much the same as mine and he used 1" continuous foam (didn't do a great job) and then built the framing in front of it and left it bare (built shelves on it). The basement was WARM and it has no source of heat.

I'm not looking for a complete finished and beautiful basement but more of a warm basement for me to do my work in (build stuff, fix stuff, jeep stuff, etc). I'd like the walls to be drywall-ed with all electrical outlets on the exterior (i like the look, don't judge me ).

My question is what is the least amount of insulation I can use on the walls to keep the warmth in and cold out and not shrink the room's size? I'd love to do continuous rigid foam (1.5 or 2") and slap drywall over it and be done with it but I don't think it's that simple. I'll need some sort of stud layout to attach the drywall to.

I only have a few grand to spend on this project with some reserve $$ that I'd rather not dip into so I'm trying to keep expenses to a minimum (who isn't?).

How would you do it?

(FYI I have a lowes and home depot within 10 miles and they are my sources for supplies)

I also have a concern regarding a pipe. There is a pipe going against the exterior wall. The previous owner/seller insulated the pipe until he got the wall and then stopped so the pipe going down the wall is bare. I'm worried about this pipe freezing. I'm also wondering how to insulate it or around it.

I'm actually not sure exactly what this pipe is for. I followed it to the bathroom and it goes up next to the toilet drain pipe. There is nothing outside the wall that it goes down (pix). Outside that wall is my backyard (wall is not underground) and the septic tank is located about 20 feet north west of that pipe.

Last edited by mudeprived; 11-26-2015 at 10:27 AM.
mudeprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2015, 06:37 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 856

2" foam with furring strips would take the least amount of wall depth.

How will you plan on running utilities?

Pull that foam and see what that line goes to. You can likely move that line with a bit of manipulation to get it inside the foam sheathing.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2015, 09:14 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
2" foam with furring strips would take the least amount of wall depth.

How will you plan on running utilities?

Pull that foam and see what that line goes to. You can likely move that line with a bit of manipulation to get it inside the foam sheathing.
Everything (outlets/switches) will be on the outside of the walls like this:

Not at the bottom but vertically from ceiling down.

The only thing I can think of is that line is a drain pipe of some sort cuz there's nothing on that wall or outside of that wall, nor is there anything near that wall that requires plumbing. If you look at the 2nd picture you'll see that line with foam insulation go across the ceiling to the wall and then down to wherever it goes.

Last edited by mudeprived; 11-29-2015 at 09:18 AM.
mudeprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement