Insulating Basement In Ontario With EPS And Batts - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-13-2015, 06:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 62

Insulating basement in Ontario with EPS and batts

I'm renovating/reinsulating my basement, and from everything I've read, interior polyethylene vapor barriers should be avoided, walls should be allowed to dry inwards, and poly barriers trap moisture below grade since the walls can't dry outwards. So my plans was to use EPS with R-12 batts in the studs and no poly barrier per building science basement insulation report.

When I applied for a permit, it was refused because the plans didn't include "a 6 mil polyethylene vapour barrier installed on the warm side of the assembly." So, in Ontario, does the building code require a poly vapour barrier when using EPS? Isn't this bad? If I need to use a poly barrier, should I avoid EPS--will it create a double barrier and trap more moisture and increase the chance of mold?
bodiroti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2015, 11:18 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 928

EPS is very vapor open so it will dry through that foam.

http://buildingscience.com/documents...ent-insulation
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
bodiroti (10-14-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2015, 02:26 PM   #3

I've read that article
Quote:
The best insulations to use are foam based and should allow the foundation wall assembly to dry inwards.... No interior vapor barriers should be installed in order to permit inward drying.
So it will be able to dry outwards and mold shouldn't be a problem, even though optimally I would be able to build so my walls could dry inwards?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2015, 11:31 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 526

With different grades/densities of EPS up there- Type 1, 2, or 3; http://www.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/ctu-sc/ctu_sc_n36

http://www.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/ctu-sc/ctu_sc_n70

And, surely the Inspector read this; http://www.cmhc.ca/odpub/pdf/66564.pdf

Gary
The Following User Says Thank You to Gary in WA For This Useful Post:
bodiroti (10-17-2015)
Old 10-18-2015, 12:16 PM   #5
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE

Rewards Points: 1,778

In the same boat here. Inspector says vapour barrier so I will spray foam all my basement walls, no vapour barrier and probably cheaper than Styrofoam and Roxul combination.

I believe I am getting the foam cheaper than buying the materials. I know my two upstairs floors of insulation will be cheaper installed than what I can buy the materials for.

Get yourself a quote, you may be surprised.
123pugsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 123pugsy For This Useful Post:
bodiroti (11-10-2015)
Old 10-18-2015, 08:09 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 526

Your new (06-24-15) energy guide on page 6.2.4 allows rigid foam board with ADA drywall or use of a Smart Vapor Barrier (Nylon-6) rather than a poly sheeting for dry basement concrete walls. http://www.nrcan.gc.ca/energy/effici...ion/15639#a6-2

Has your Inspector seen this or is there a local amendment to the Code...

Gary
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gary in WA For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (10-19-2015), bodiroti (11-10-2015)
Old 11-10-2015, 05:56 PM   #7

Sorry, I missed your response. I haven't started the work yet. My building permit was refused because I didn't include the poly vapour barrier on the warm side of the assembly. I'm getting ready to resubmit the permit now and will go through the documents you found and ask the Plans Examiner what's allowed. Thanks for the help!
Old 11-10-2015, 07:04 PM   #8
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodiroti View Post
Sorry, I missed your response. I haven't started the work yet. My building permit was refused because I didn't include the poly vapour barrier on the warm side of the assembly. I'm getting ready to resubmit the permit now and will go through the documents you found and ask the Plans Examiner what's allowed. Thanks for the help!
As I said before, spray foam will cost the same as your materials alone and no VB required. I priced it already.

I'm in Ontario also BTW.
bodiroti (11-13-2015)
Old 11-13-2015, 11:39 AM   #9

Thanks, I will get a quote on spray foam once everything's opened up--the basement is already finished, but with wood paneling and framing that's probably not up to code, so once I demo that I'll have some spray foam guys in. Either way, I want to let the city permit people know their way of making me do things is wrong and try to get permission to do it the correct way.
Old 11-13-2015, 12:14 PM   #10

What R-value are you getting with the spray foam? I think XPS/EPS + Roxul R14 batts is > R-value than spray foam.
Old 11-13-2015, 03:22 PM   #11
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodiroti View Post
what r-value are you getting with the spray foam? I think xps/eps + roxul r14 batts is > r-value than spray foam.
3" = r 20.
bodiroti (12-15-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
basement insulation , eps , ontario