Insulating Basement That Has Thermal-dry Wall Treatment - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-08-2016, 05:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

Insulating basement that has thermal-dry wall treatment

Anyone have any experience with finishing and insulating a basement that has the BASEMENT SYSTEMS THERMAL DRY on the walls?
It s a bubble wrap against the block walls and the inside the house side has a foil face. It tucks inside of a drain that sits on the footer. There is a 3/8" gap all almy no the perimeter of my basement and I'm starting to frame in with metal stud. Studs will need to be set off the wall about 2" or so because of wall anchors. I searched and read through many posts but didn't see anything specific to this system. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Trd-joe; 02-08-2016 at 05:16 PM.
Trd-joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2016, 10:52 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 526

Welcome to the forums!
From the site, the bubbles insulate with the trapped air (around R-1 from everything I've read) and the foil-face reflects the heat back in room- as long as you don't build an insulated wall in front of it (then you'd be slowing heat loss there and no need for bubbles) to meet your Energy Code requirements for below grade; http://energycode.pnl.gov/EnergyCodeReqs/index.jsp

And since the bubble material is in direct contact with the cold wall, conduction will make the material same temp.- though the bubbles help a little but are still connected to other side (warmed). AND you need a minimum 3/4" air space for the radiant barrier to work, follow the links here, after reading; http://www.energyvanguard.com/blog-b...diant-Barriers Don't forget to fire block the frame wall every 10' hor. and you may still get convective loops depositing interior sourced moisture on the foil side... due to the air space between them.

So the foil really isn't helping much (other than vapor barrier and taking another 3/4" away) as you need insulation between the cold concrete wall and the warmed drywall; http://www.energyideas.org/documents...atTransfer.pdf

Steel studs transmit heat effectively to whatever they are in contact with so foam board/caulking under the bottom channel for air/thermal/capillary break as any screws installed could easily rust where the zinc coating is now missing. Fire stop the top of wall to stop wall air (electrical outlet fire) to floor cavities above. Never used the product, never will, lol.

Gary
The Following User Says Thank You to Gary in WA For This Useful Post:
Trd-joe (02-09-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2016, 11:22 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4

Thanks Gary! So I just need to keep the insulation off of the bubble wrap? Create a small cavity?
Trd-joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement