Insulating Basement Ceiling Perimeter. - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-08-2017, 10:04 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 14

insulating basement ceiling perimeter.

Just had a local home heating expert here to evaluate my heating. He liked all he saw. One thing he suggested since my basement is cold was to put insulation on the basement ceiling just two to three feet in from the wall. The basement was pretty well sealed up years ago actually making the basement a little colder. The burner is fairly new so it is also well insulated. So he recommended the pieces of insulation. Wrapping the heating pipes was another option but he didn't think I would have all that much gain from that. What is your thought on that insulating approach ?
jojodwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2017, 03:00 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 856

Re: insulating basement ceiling perimeter.

What was his rational for insulated the ceiling for 2-3'? Was he referring to the rim joists?

There are a ton of thread on here about rim joist sealing as well as basement insulation options.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2017, 03:03 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 136

Hi jojo and welcome.
If the foundation walls are not insulated, a bare concrete wall has the r-value of a single pane window. Only thing worse would be an open window. What happens it the pipes and heating system end up heating the basement so it feels kind-of ok but in reality if you eliminated the heat loss that unintentional heat would give you a nice toasty basement and warm the floors above as well.

You start by caulking or foam sealing the house to foundation and all seams and gaps in that perimeter zone he was describing. Once sealed then rigid foam board plus batt insulation. I like Roxul.

For the foundation walls a layer of rigid foam and some approved approach to covering it on the inside.

Bud
Bud9051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2017, 04:09 PM   #4

The walls are cinder block. The rim joist is treated with both insulation and foam. I have no plans to treat the walls.. The house was visited by an insulation company that took care of blowing insulation into the walls and the attic and sealing everything they could find in the basement. So back to what was recommended today to put 2 to 3 feet of insulation in the ceiling joists out from the wall. ??
Old 02-08-2017, 04:47 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 4,864

I have no idea what that would accomplish; I can't think of anything.
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 04:54 PM   #6

His claim is keeping the wood floor warmer and that a lot of cold comes from the foundation.

Last edited by jojodwolf; 02-08-2017 at 04:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement