Insulating Basement Band Joist - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-23-2018, 10:05 PM   #1

Insulating basement band joist

Hi, I'm new to the forum and had a question about insulating the part of the band joist that runs parallel to the floor joists (I'm not sure if I have all the terminology right). I am planning on gluing 2" closed cell rigid foam on my foundation walls. I have seen many demonstrations of how to insulate the part of the band joist that caps the ends of the floor joists, but no demonstrations of the side running parallel to the joists. This area of my basement has many pipes, ductless lines and water and gas pipes obstructing the way and I'm not sure if I'll be able to air seal it properly. I've attached a photo to help illustrate what I am describing. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Kevin
Attached Thumbnails
Insulating basement band joist-20180223_212626_1519444922576.jpg  
Kms77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2018, 10:20 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,364

Re: Insulating basement band joist

That would be a situation where the two tank spray foam kit is worth buying. No other good way to seal that.

http://www.touch-n-foam.com/system-600.html
Marson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2018, 10:48 PM   #3

Thanks. The other question j had was about the electric box. Do I just foam around it? Mine is mounted on plywood right against the foundation. It seems like the metal right against the foundation would be a source of condensation. Is this something that can't be avoided or is there something I should do? Thanks again!

Kevin
Kms77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2018, 07:18 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,060

I'd avoid that two part foam kit if at all possible. It's nice in theory, but the reality is a mess, doesn't ever turn out the way you expect, and you're left with two toxic tanks that most garbage haulers won't take. Plus, you'll never be able to easily access any of that wire or pipe should you have a problem down the line.
Hard to tell from the photo, but you might be able to slip smaller pieces of rigid foam in there and seal them with a regular can of spray foam.
NotYerUncleBob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 07:20 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,060

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kms77 View Post
Thanks. The other question j had was about the electric box. Do I just foam around it? Mine is mounted on plywood right against the foundation. It seems like the metal right against the foundation would be a source of condensation. Is this something that can't be avoided or is there something I should do?
Are you talking about your main electrical panel? or a junction box? Either way, you don't want to bury it in foam.
I wouldn't worry about condensation unless you're seeing some there right now.
NotYerUncleBob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 08:19 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,364

I've done a lot of basement rim joists with the kits. (something on the order of 20) A few tips: you'll want to get a large sheet of cardboard or OSB or something to test your spray on. When you spray, you want to see it puff immediately, and it will very quickly put out some heat. That way you know it's mixing properly. If you need to troubleshoot, turn off one tank and then the other to see if both tanks are flowing. (shoot the unmixed stuff into a garbage can.) Read and follow the instructions! The tanks need to be warm!

You could have your whole basement rim joist prepped with rigid foam or whatever, and once you spray the difficult areas, you keep spraying until the tanks are empty. That way you don't have half a kit to get rid of. Preparation is the key.
Marson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement