Insulating Around Wires (soffit Project Con't) - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bcemail

Old 09-04-2020, 03:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 386

Insulating around wires (soffit project con't)

OK, I've gotten plenty of help with trying to get the second story overhang soffits on my house insulated. Done 2 sides so far and it's gone well overall (other than trying to wedge my head and arms around random framing, constant battle with spray foam, etc.).

I'm working on the side of the house that has the gambrel roof coming down, and I'm working from the inside here since I'm replacing the ceiling. For most of these soffits, the subfloor for the second story runs all the way to the exterior wall. In a couple of the soffits, the subfloor stops, and then it opens to the area above, which is between the roof and the interior wall of the second story.

One of the soffits is above my electrical panel. I'm not sure what to do here. The first picture is from the room looking up at the soffit. The second and third are looking back, and in one you can see the white vinyl soffit peeking between the plywood (there's also some type of skinny wire running down into that area). You can also see toward the back where 2 wires are dropping down, this is the area that is open above. The 4th picture is looking up into this space.

What should I do here? Maybe try and get foam board on the "floor" and/or a vertical piece in the back to make a wall? Or just try and spray foam the edges to seal it (would probably need a back wall also)? If I seal it a little, I could also then stuff it with fiberglass. Trying to avoid making a mess or making it impossible to fix the wires if that's ever needed.

Thanks again!
Attached Thumbnails
Insulating around wires (soffit project con't)-image1.jpeg   Insulating around wires (soffit project con't)-image2.jpeg   Insulating around wires (soffit project con't)-image3.jpeg   Insulating around wires (soffit project con't)-image4.jpeg  
bcemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2020, 04:04 PM   #2
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 260

Re: Insulating around wires (soffit project con't)

My goodness. It appears a remodel was done without regard to wiring, pinching romex in the process. But that's another story.

Do you have soffit vents? If so, will air move freely over the insulation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2020, 04:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandler48 View Post
My goodness. It appears a remodel was done without regard to wiring, pinching romex in the process. But that's another story.

Do you have soffit vents? If so, will air move freely over the insulation?
Well, for the other ones, I made them air tight then filled them with fiberglass. I used rigid foam and spray foam to get them sealed. Was thinking about trying to seal off the back of this one to get it sealed but not sure if I can.

Is the romex bad? Never had a problem (that I know of) but if there's something simple to do to fix it while everything's open I might as well.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2020, 05:42 PM   #4
retired framer

Rewards Points: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcemail View Post
Well, for the other ones, I made them air tight then filled them with fiberglass. I used rigid foam and spray foam to get them sealed. Was thinking about trying to seal off the back of this one to get it sealed but not sure if I can.

Is the romex bad? Never had a problem (that I know of) but if there's something simple to do to fix it while everything's open I might as well.

Thanks!
Did you find that the outside wall above is insulated?
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 09:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
Did you find that the outside wall above is insulated?

Well for most of them I haven't been able to see into the wall cavity above since the subfloor for the second floor ran all the way to the outer wall, where it would meet at the bottom point of the roof and then there would be a vertical piece running down about 8" that forms the outside of the soffit.

Now on this section of wall I have a couple where it's open to the above area behind the roof. I was told that most of the interior walls have insulation behind them, which the people who did our attic insulation could look down into when they were up there.
Old 09-05-2020, 02:10 PM   #6
retired framer

Quote:
Well for most of them I haven't been able to see into the wall cavity above since the subfloor for the second floor ran all the way to the outer wall, where it would meet at the bottom point of the roof and then there would be a vertical piece running down about 8" that forms the outside of the soffit.

Now on this section of wall I have a couple where it's open to the above area behind the roof. I was told that most of the interior walls have insulation behind them, which the people who did our attic insulation could look down into when they were up there.
I would not loose a lot of sleep over missing that one block or you do the best you can with the block and fill the rest with fire rated foam.

But that does look like a place you may want to get to again.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nealtw For This Useful Post:
bcemail (09-05-2020)
Old 09-05-2020, 03:28 PM   #7

Quote:
I would not loose a lot of sleep over missing that one block or you do the best you can with the block and fill the rest with fire rated foam.

But that does look like a place you may want to get to again.
Good point, I'll get some foam in there but not cover it up too much. Then maybe pretend like I didn't see anything with the wiring for now...
Nealtw likes this.
Old 09-05-2020, 03:35 PM   #8
retired framer

Quote:
Good point, I'll get some foam in there but not cover it up too much. Then maybe pretend like I didn't see anything with the wiring for now...
All the wires go up or down into the wall, can you get the block behind the wires?
Old 09-05-2020, 03:49 PM   #9

Quote:
All the wires go up or down into the wall, can you get the block behind the wires?
If you look at the 3rd pic, I think I can get a block back behind where the thick black wire is, especially if I move that forward a little. There is that thin wire coming from the upper left corner of the picture, but not sure what it is. You can also see it in the 2nd picture, where it seems to run down through the gap where the vinyl soffit is showing through. I thought maybe door bell wire since our door is a few feet away? Or phone wire coming from outside, since the electric box is on the other side of the wall?
Old 09-05-2020, 04:07 PM   #10
retired framer

Quote:
If you look at the 3rd pic, I think I can get a block back behind where the thick black wire is, especially if I move that forward a little. There is that thin wire coming from the upper left corner of the picture, but not sure what it is. You can also see it in the 2nd picture, where it seems to run down through the gap where the vinyl soffit is showing through. I thought maybe door bell wire since our door is a few feet away? Or phone wire coming from outside, since the electric box is on the other side of the wall?
well, do the best you can, shrug the shoulders and move on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement