Insulating Around Brick Chimney - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-07-2018, 01:23 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 986

Insulating around brick chimney

I'm working on trying to insulate the 2nd floor of or 100yr old house. There is a brick chimney that appears to have once serviced the kitchen, maybe the dining room and a 2nd foor room. All of these fixtures would have been gas and likely vented straight into the chimney with no liner. A few years ago I remodeled the kitchen and had a mason brick off the opening in the kitchen before I hung sheetrock and cabinets over this area. The dining room opening had already been closed before I bought the house.

My plan is to eventually rebuild an old parlor stove and use it on the 2nd floor for supplemental heat. When I do this I'm planning on buying a liner for the chimney and going through that.

From what I can tell this never serviced a wood Firebox and never will. It just isn't built for it.

I've been spraying some touch-n-seal 600fr spray foam in the attic area trying to fix the lack of insulation issues. While doing this some got on the brick chimney, where it goes through the wall into the attic and then out the roof. It's only about a 12-18" tall section that goes through the attic and the chimney is only about 15" square. Do I need to clean this foam off the chimney or is it ok? If ok, should I be fine spraying the rest to keep any heat transfer from going through the brick and into or out of the house. Not thinking heat transfer from fire in gas stove, I'm thinking of sun heated bricks in summer and cold bricks in the winter transferring those temps into the attic.

There is wood framing right up to the chimney if that matters.

If the foam needs to come off how do I insulate the area? Currently there is fiberglass batting right up to it. I know roxul is good and I have some, but keeping it in place worries me. The plan is to top the rest of this attic space off with cellulose, is that ok right up to the brick if the foam is a no go or do I need an air gap?
Master Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2018, 07:45 AM   #2
Guapo

Rewards Points: 11,950

Re: Insulating around brick chimney

I don't like the idea of anything touching the brick.
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2018, 12:30 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 986

Ok, I got some scraps, big enough for the job, of 1/4" cement board. If I hold that off the brick an inch or so then spray the foam to that OR blue cellulose up to, I should be ok?
Master Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2018, 04:15 PM   #4
Guapo

Rewards Points: 11,950

Re: Insulating around brick chimney

Sure, as long as the brick can breathe.
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement