Insulated Internally Solid Brick Wall - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-31-2018, 11:57 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 6

Insulated internally solid brick wall

What is the best way to internally insulate a solid wall (1930s, brick)? I had a leftover sheet of PIR pushed against the wall for a week (bed keeping it in place!), but just noticed it was wet behind. The rest of the wall is always dry, so I assume this is moisture from inside the house getting to the colder wall.

I was going to stick some plasterboard backed with EPS to the wall using Everbuild Pinkgrip, but now worried that the moisture will make it fall down... so, what is the best route? I know I cannot stick foil backed. Should I mechanically fix PIR, cover all joins and screw holes with insulation tape, then stick plasterboard over it? Don't really want to have to go the batten route if I can avoid it. But want to avoid damp and mould problems.
jonwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2018, 01:05 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,864

Re: Insulated internally solid brick wall

So you are planning a stud wall in front of this?
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2018, 01:07 PM   #3

Wasn't going to no, but that's why I am asking for advise, as I am not really sure what I'm doing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2018, 01:21 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 4,864

So what's the motivation - the wall is cold?
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 01:34 PM   #5

Yes. But not looking to spend too much, or lose too much room. The wall is cold, and there have been condensation damp issues in the past (previous owner). So aim is to warm up a bit and reduce condensation / black mould risk. I bought some insulated plasterboard, but it seems that this will still result in condensation between the wall and the insulation as there is no vapour barrier, so long term it will get mouldy and rot etc.

Just trying to work out what the correct / best way to insulate the wall is. I am not insulating the whole room - the front wall with window will be the same. Just the main external wall.

The wall is 2.9m wide and 2.5m tall. I am hoping I can pad out the lower 10cm and then stand 2.4m boards vertically to cover the area. The 15cm skirting board will cover the padding at the bottom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement