Insulate Shed/ Cabin - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Porsche986S

Old 04-17-2020, 09:34 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 6

Insulate shed/ cabin

Hi i have a cabin/ shed that i stay in when i go up north in michigan for the weekend. It has a metal roof. So it hot during the day and cold at night. I want to insulate the roof and hopefully that will stop the extreme changes. The roof is metal with 2x4 rafters. So i was thinking maybe thin r13 roll batt and held in place by shiplap. But will the roof sweat on the batt. If so how do i prevent that.
Skitchin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2020, 11:11 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,172

Re: Insulate shed/ cabin

How large is the cabin? Is it just the roof you want to insulate, not walls?
Have you considered foam? That would eliminate the sweating problem.
Most likely it will cost you more than batts but it could most likely eliminate any insect or rodent infestation.
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2020, 12:07 PM   #3

I was wanting to stay away from spray on for the cost and having to have some one do
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2020, 12:35 PM   #4
retired framer

Rewards Points: 430

Tell us about the roof, is the metal attached to strapping, Could air flow between insulation and the metal roof even side ways?
Insulation can cause trouble too. A small cabin with a person in it can have higher humidity if that air can get passed the insulation in the winter you will have condensation above it. So if you insulate you also have to seal it to keep air from the cabin out of it but it is good to have air flow above it.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 08:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
Tell us about the roof, is the metal attached to strapping, Could air flow between insulation and the metal roof even side ways?
Insulation can cause trouble too. A small cabin with a person in it can have higher humidity if that air can get passed the insulation in the winter you will have condensation above it. So if you insulate you also have to seal it to keep air from the cabin out of it but it is good to have air flow above it.
it metal rib panels screwed in to the 2x4 rafters. right now air can flow up it to a roof vent at the peak. if i put the insulation i dont know if it will squish the air gap or squish air gap other then where the metal upper ribs. so i should seal air gaps along walls and i will be fine with the humidity.
Old 04-17-2020, 08:35 PM   #6
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skitchin1 View Post
it metal rib panels screwed in to the 2x4 rafters. right now air can flow up it to a roof vent at the peak. if i put the insulation i dont know if it will squish the air gap or squish air gap other then where the metal upper ribs. so i should seal air gaps along walls and i will be fine with the humidity.
So air can get out. how does air get in?
Old 04-17-2020, 09:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
So air can get out. how does air get in?
there a gap or day light at the lower part of the roof. that over hangs out the edge.
Old 04-17-2020, 09:22 PM   #8
retired framer

Quote:
there a gap or day light at the lower part of the roof. that over hangs out the edge.
So if you maintain a little gap all the wall and insulate that is good. You could add 2x4 to the bottom of the rafters to make them thick enough for an air gap and insulation.

I am not sure insulation will stop mold. I think besides that you will want some vents in the body of the shed high and low that you can leave open when you are not there. Some kind of louvered vents with doors on the inside that you would close while you are there.
Old 04-17-2020, 09:29 PM   #9

Old 04-17-2020, 09:39 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 4,172

Rather than spray foam you could use foam board insulation.
Any fiberglass you put there will get wet from condensation.
You would need an encapsulated insulation of some type to keep that from being an issue. I have a shed I use as a workshop. It has a sheathed roof (plywood) with metal over it. The metal is not exposed like yours.
Old 04-17-2020, 10:35 PM   #11
retired framer

Quote:
I am really not sure the best way to deal with that roof insulation.
Old 04-18-2020, 08:43 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,094

My 2 cents keep the change . First thing I would do is drill some holes on your end boards where you would normally install gutters . You can go to any box store and find small round louvered plastic/nylon vents . Drill holes the appropriate size for the louvers and drill them near the top of the studs . I would then install 1x1 which actually measures 3/4 x 3/4 along your ceiling rafters on the each side of the cavity . You are making a " spacer " up near the roof metal . I would then take 3 " thick rigid foam and cut/fit into each cavity . So you will end up with 3 " of foam insulation AND an air gap between it and the metal roof panels . It can breath from bottom to top via the ridges in the metal panels AND the additional vents you added .

The foam will hang below the surface of your ceiling studs by about a 1/4 " , if that is a concern you can use 2 1/2 " foam OR you can scab on some thin plywood or wood of your choice to make it even . This assumes you are going to add a finished ceiling . In a perfect world the rigid foam you use has a reflective barrier on it which will help cut down on heat penetration . DISCLAIMER: I am just an avid DIYer I am no expert , I know enough to be dangerous
Nealtw likes this.
Porsche986S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 11:38 AM   #13

What type of foam should i use the pink stuff.
Old 04-19-2020, 05:51 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 1,094

Quote:
What type of foam should i use the pink stuff.
Brand/color doesn't matter whatever is available near you . Generally speaking Home Depot and Lowes will be more expensive vs a company that just sells insulation at least that has been my experience . Where I live there are always at least two vendors advertising on CL that sell all varieties of insulation and their prices are aprox. 30 % lower than the box stores .

You may also find close out or used available near you , used can save you some $$$ and as long as it doesn't look like it was hit by a shotgun it can be used . Another thing to consider is how to cut this stuff straight and accurate . Taking a 4'x8' sheet of 2.5 or 3 inch thick foam and ripping to say 16 " wide can be a challenge . You can use anything from a table saw to a circular saw to an electric carving knife just realize it will be messy . Good luck with your project and show some pics during install .
Porsche986S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 09:51 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 1,948

I'd skip the fiberglass and use 2 layers of 1" foil cover polyiso boards on 2x rafters. Looks like there's enough headroom. Foil should also reflect some of the energy but not where it's touching the rafters. Then drywall. Then plenty of fan or ac. 2x4 insulation isn't enough to handle the heat/cold without conditioning the spaces below.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement