Insulate For Noise On Basement Ceiling? - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bluegrassliving

Old 12-03-2018, 11:20 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 330

Insulate for noise on basement ceiling?

We recently moved into a new house and one of the things we want to change is taking down the hanging tile ceiling and leave the ceiling beams exposed and then paint them to help add height to the basement, and just for a better more modern aesthetic. Naturally, though, this does cause more sound bleed through from just anything happening on the floor above the basement, squeaking of plywood and flooring, etc. Is there a way that's worth exploring to help insulate right underneath the plywood? Like a small layer of batting insulation or foamboard that could be painted or would either of those things really accomplish much? I'm thinking the better approach is sound dampening underlayment installed underneath the flooring above the basement when I replace it. Thanks!
bluegrassliving is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2018, 11:36 AM   #2

Re: Insulate for noise on basement ceiling?

Just bumping this thread. One friend suggested Rock Wool. Is that a good option, is there anything else I should consider? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2019, 04:33 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 7,354

Cork underlayment has 26db absorption; would have to redo the upstairs floors though.

The only thing I can think of that you could put between the ceiling joists and leave "exposed" to maintain your basement height would be green glue and layers of thick drywall. https://www.greengluecompany.com/noise-soundproofing
Mystriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2019, 06:00 AM   #4
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrassliving View Post
taking down the hanging tile ceiling and leave the ceiling beams exposed and then paint them to help add height to the basement, and just for a better more modern aesthetic.

You may not like the hanging tiles in the basement but they almost always cover up all the wiring, plumbing, and HVAC for the house. The hanging tiles make it easy to remove when repairs are needed. Have you taken out a few and looked up in there to see exactly what you will be uncovering?
You can buy insulated tiles.
Old 01-01-2019, 07:39 AM   #5

Yeah, I plan on redoing the flooring above anyways, I guess we can start with just doing the cork underlayment and see how that does.

I've already removed all of the ceiling tiles. We like the look of the exposed mechanics. It looks especially nice when you paint everything.
Yodaman likes this.
Old 01-01-2019, 02:42 PM   #6

After doing fairly extensive research it appears there are not many options for reducing sound on a basement ceiling while still retaining the relatively rustic exposed joist and mechanics look. I think you could in theory put some rock wool or similar sound reducing barrier in between the joists and then devise a way to keep it secure like perhaps slats that hold it up or something and then paint it with the rest of the mechanics but I'm not sure how effective that would be. I just like being able to access mechanics and the like anytime I need to but I don't like drop tile ceilings. I like how drywall looks, it's just once it's sealed it's done and requires painful tear out every time you need to replace, repair, add on something, etc. Which hopefully is rare, but still. Anyways, thanks for the tips everyone.

Oh, btw, does spray foam insulation help reduce sound? I think my scenario that might be the most cost efficient way to add some insulation between floors and still spray around and above the mechanics so those can remain exposed. Plus I think you could easily spray paint spray insulation once dry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement