Insulate A Garage Door - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-10-2020, 11:20 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 18

Insulate a Garage Door

Hello, all. New member here.

My wife and I recently built a new house, and put a windowed garage door in, instead of a traditional patio door. For reference, the door is the Amarr Vista, and is 8'x8'. The glass is a great thermal barrier, but the door frame itself needs some insulation. Here is where I am lost. My insulating contractor told me that they could not help me because the insulation would not have proper curing procedures.

Any suggestions? It is not unbearable, but, is pretty noticeable in extreme temperatures. I cannot believe that there is not a pretty simple solution to this. I just cannot find one...

Thanks!
Rytas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2020, 12:44 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 166

Re: Insulate a Garage Door

Hi Rytas and welcome to the forum.
Can you post a picture so we can see inside and out. Keeping the heat out is often a case of blocking the sun like adding shade or awnings. Once the heat is inside then ventilation is next step, but replacing the hot sir in the garage with maybe hot outside air doesn't gain a lot.

Is the ceiling finished?
Is the ceiling insulated?
Is the attic above ventilated?

You mention the door frame, is it leaking air? Is it metal or wood?

Bud
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2020, 12:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud9051 View Post
Hi Rytas and welcome to the forum.
Can you post a picture so we can see inside and out. Keeping the heat out is often a case of blocking the sun like adding shade or awnings. Once the heat is inside then ventilation is next step, but replacing the hot sir in the garage with maybe hot outside air doesn't gain a lot.

Is the ceiling finished?
Is the ceiling insulated?
Is the attic above ventilated?

You mention the door frame, is it leaking air? Is it metal or wood?

Bud
Thank you for the response. To clarify, the door is in my kitchen/dining room - instead of patio doors. The entire house is 2x6 construction, sided, and open-cell spray foamed. The door faces west, so we get afternoon sun. It opens out to the deck, and there is no covering (yet) but wouldn't be more than a pergola, which still would not change the winter cold coming in. The door is aluminum, and is open from the sides to get foam inside, although I haven't found a manufacturer that recommended something. Great Stuff said it might not work because of needing air to cure properly

Insulate a Garage Door-garage-door.jpg.

also, here is the link to the manufacturer, hoping it is allowed;

https://www.amarr.com/residential/co...features/vista
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2020, 03:06 PM   #4

Sorry Ry I'm still lost. I see a huge glass panel garage door but does it open on rail like typical garage door? Or is it hinged in some way? No idea where you would use great stuff unless it would be around the perimeter (3 sides) between the frame of the door and the wood frame? That is what i need to see. With all of that glass it will be near impossible to improve insulation value of that wall. If there is air leakage that should be sealed.

If Great stuff is worried about their foam curing it sounds like a deep or wide gap??

Bud
Old 06-10-2020, 09:36 PM   #5
Newbie Bill

Rewards Points: 534

I like the idea and the look, but the practicality of using that in locations with cool or cold winters is a problem. If I understand correctly that you Hoping to apply insulation to the metal frame and the gap between the door and the wall. I would think that be unsightly and not very effective.

Personally I would suggest looking at replacing that door with one that is designed for the use and climate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A DIY Noob that knows just enough to be dangerous.
drtbk4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 06:40 AM   #6

Thanks for the responses and the opinions.

Where I am looking at insulating is inside the aluminum frame of the actual door. There is an about 3'' border around the windows. The foam (if it is foam) would need to be injected into it. Sorry, I did not grab a pic yet of that, if requested.

The door is a 4-panel, or a normal garage door track.

As far as being an appropriate door for the winters, the glass is insulated very well. The door is not bad by any means, but it is not fully insulated, and that is what I am looking to do.

In the end, I am just looking to put some recommended brand of foam inside to just assist with keeping the cold from eminating through in the winter. My entire house from top to bottom is foamed, and it seems like a shame that I have the one weak point - when it seems like it can be remedied.
Old 06-11-2020, 07:11 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 11,446

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rytas View Post
The glass is a great thermal barrier....
I find that unlikely. What is the manufacturer's spec on the R value of that door ?

The metal frame is a small proportion of the surface area, so most of the heat is coming through the glass. Even if you put insulation in the frame, there would be no thermal break, and heat would conduct through the (likely metal) frame.

If the main problem is solar heat gain when the sun is shining through, that can be addressed with an awning or canopy.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 07:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPS-1 View Post
I find that unlikely. What is the manufacturer's spec on the R value of that door ?

The metal frame is a small proportion of the surface area, so most of the heat is coming through the glass. Even if you put insulation in the frame, there would be no thermal break, and heat would conduct through the (likely metal) frame.

If the main problem is solar heat gain when the sun is shining through, that can be addressed with an awning or canopy.
The r value is n/a from the manufacturer, since there is no insulation in the metal part of the door. The windows are double-paned and I believe had a u-value of 50.

When it is cold out, the glass is still very cool to the touch but will not get frosted up. The door frame, however, will frost on the inside, and is very cold to the touch.

We are planning on putting up a pergola, which will help in the warm months, but this is mainly to block the sun from coming in.

Maybe I am ignorant on some aspects of heat transfer, and yes I am. But, my thinking was that I could spray into the door, and the foam would be the thermal barrier, or at least help. I do realize that the conductivity is there, since it is not two separate pieces which I could bridge with an insulator.
Old 06-11-2020, 07:41 AM   #9

I suppose at the end of the day, these are just really large, aluminum-framed windows. How do I properly get foam into there? What is the best type, and manufacturer?

Side note: awesome conversation so far! I sincerely appreciate all of it.
Old 06-11-2020, 08:18 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 304

How are ice chests insulated ? It seems as if you are basically wanting to do the same. Drill holes and fill with a recommended expanding foam. I'll leave the specifics of foam to the foam folks.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 08:29 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 11,446

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rytas View Post
The windows are double-paned and I believe had a u-value of 50.
No. U value would be between about .2 to .4 in US units, or roughly 1 to 2 in metric units. Best to get "whole window" U value rather than "center of glass" U value.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 08:36 AM   #12

Sorry, but I really enjoyed that. I assume those are glass windows and if r-50 NASA will want to talk to them ROFL. 5 maybe. Any improvement you make on the limited area of the frame will be averaged against the real r-value of the glass, double pane argon filled I use r-4.

As for filling the cavity it sounds like an enclosed metal area and that is why the Great Stuff people are concerned about the curing.

If you have any literature from that mfg that states r-50 I would enjoy reading it.

PS no disrespect intended with my laugh, laughing at the mfg.

Bud
Old 06-11-2020, 09:34 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud9051 View Post
Sorry, but I really enjoyed that. I assume those are glass windows and if r-50 NASA will want to talk to them ROFL. 5 maybe. Any improvement you make on the limited area of the frame will be averaged against the real r-value of the glass, double pane argon filled I use r-4.

As for filling the cavity it sounds like an enclosed metal area and that is why the Great Stuff people are concerned about the curing.

If you have any literature from that mfg that states r-50 I would enjoy reading it.

PS no disrespect intended with my laugh, laughing at the mfg.

Bud
Windows are not rated in r-value. I cannot specifically find the data, but these were a 30-50 (or, 0.30-0.50 u-rating) which is how I was told the windows thermal efficiency was rated. They're ''good'' but not the best you can have.
Old 06-11-2020, 09:35 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPS-1 View Post
No. U value would be between about .2 to .4 in US units, or roughly 1 to 2 in metric units. Best to get "whole window" U value rather than "center of glass" U value.
This clarifies it, thanks. The windows have a 0.30 value. Middle of the values.
Old 06-11-2020, 09:39 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorSitizen View Post
How are ice chests insulated ? It seems as if you are basically wanting to do the same. Drill holes and fill with a recommended expanding foam. I'll leave the specifics of foam to the foam folks.
If that seems to be the best answer, then maybe. however, I am hoping to avoid drilling into the aluminum. Aesthetically, that would not look too great.

If there are some foam experts, I am hoping they'll chime in... I need a delivery method to be able to get 4' deep into the door, and spray the insulation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
garage door , insulation , kitchen