Garage Insulation - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By cr0ntab
  • 1 Post By cr0ntab

Old 04-24-2018, 06:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 58

Garage Insulation

Hey All,

I'm in the process of insulating the garage (to keep heat out) and I wanted to get some feedback on insulating the rafters.

The garage in question is a 3 car garage. The two car portion of the garage is under a loft and the third bay is open.

The section under the loft is already insulated.

The garage has south and west facing walls, from which most of the heat comes from.

The wall I added the rock wool too where the water heater is, faces south.

My current best plan is to DIY spray closed cell foam against the rafters and the south wall with the gable vent to help with insulation.

It's pretty pricey stuff but from what I've been reading I need the air-tighness of closed cell foam if I'm going right up against the roof sheathing.

I would then lay some AtticFoil over the insulated ceiling rafters to throw off some of the heat.

I want to eventually get a minisplit unit in the garage to help keep the temperatures more reasonable.

Here is an album with some pictures to help the imagination:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/S99OiWjzk3FRWXKe2

So my question:

Is spray foaming the ceiling/south wall the best course of action for the money?

I'm also following along in this thread as it seems very similar to what I want to do:

http://www.diychatroom.com/f103/type...e-here-602449/
AtticFoil.com likes this.
cr0ntab is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2018, 05:44 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 312

Re: Garage Insulation

Im not far from you (San Diego). My garage faces west, so the afternoon sun heats up my garage too. I am looking at first, insulating the garage door itself, then using wall insulation and dry walling the walls and ceiling. I, personally wouldnt spray between the rafters as you want the heat to escape - i am also going to put in a couple roof vents - Ridge vents work the best (IMO) but just had the roof re-done and dont want to tear up the nice shingle job...
KPDMinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2018, 06:26 PM   #3
retired framer

Rewards Points: 302

To late now but for others you should have drywalled the ceiling first. I know you haven't decided that yet.
How may square feet is the sealing compared to the rafters? about 1/3 to 1/2 more money.
How much more cooling do you need out of your mini split to do the same work. 1/3 to 1/2 more to get the same effect.
reflective foil to reflect what to where. Something shinny will reflect sunlight and maybe some heat but from inside the idea is ????
I grew up sleeping in an un finished un insulated attic and we put that stuff on the rafters it made zero difference.
A garage attached to a house should be completely drywalled and taped to keep auto off gasses out of the house.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2018, 04:34 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr0ntab View Post
Hey All,

I'm in the process of insulating the garage (to keep heat out) and I wanted to get some feedback on insulating the rafters.

http://www.diychatroom.com/f103/type...e-here-602449/

Curious to ask how this project ended up?
fastsvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 08:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastsvo View Post
Curious to ask how this project ended up?
Ended up diverting funds to a different project, so this is still an open line item.

There doesn't seem to be a strong consensus either way and across forums so I'll just make my own call when I get there based off money most likely.
fastsvo likes this.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:33 PM   #6

So last weekend I ended up installing the AtticFoil and it definitely made a difference in the garage.

It wasn't drastic, but the garage doesn't get quite as hot as it did before. Don't have a thermometer in there to measure things, but I can feel a large difference. (I could feed a difference even as I was installing)

I'm definitely going to put this stuff into the attic of the house as well.

I'm still undecided on next course of action for the south facing wall. Half of it has insulation in it now, but the top half doesn't.

I would need to extend the studs out of the wall to help hold the insulation, but that's work and it's hot right now.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:56 PM   #7

I have seen a ton of insulating projects up here in canada so we get both heat in summer and extreme cold in winter. What I would do is add attic baffles and insulate with an r20 insulation with poly to hold it in and seal it up nice and tight. Cut in a ridge vent and make sure intake vents at bottom that way the hot air under sheathing will escape up to ridge. Grabbed a pic online to show the idea.
22+ year contractor

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
redisleinc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to redisleinc For This Useful Post:
cr0ntab (07-12-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 11:58 PM   #8

Interesting, I hadn't seen those air baffles like that.

I'll look into that for sure!
Old 07-13-2018, 12:16 AM   #9

Yea they give enough clearance to allow insulation to pack in but vent as well. Cheaper than foil paper and will help do both heat and cool. Check home depot or any major store even lowes ir major insulation supply shops

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
redisleinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement