Garage Door Insulation - Fad Or It Works? - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-21-2019, 10:43 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 142

garage door insulation - fad or it works?

i see people insulating the door panels but then on the corner/sides there are gaping hole/space from where cold air enters in the garage. I dont understand the point of insulating just the door. what am i missing about insulating garage doors?
jackallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2019, 11:05 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 4

Re: garage door insulation - fad or it works?

Insulating the door without taking care of the sides doesn't do much other than to prevent the door from transferring immense quantities of heat to the inside of the garage.

Consider this: You have a large piece of metal either 8' by 8' (sometimes two of them) or 16' by 8' (or some size close to that). It sits facing the full brunt of the sun for most of the day. The metal is getting very hot. Where does the heat go? Into the garage of course. Even in the winter, that heat will go into the garage. Sometimes that heat is a good thing, sometimes it isn't. If you have living space about the garage, that fluctuation in temp is not that good of a thing.

So, by insulating the garage door, you are preventing that heat gain (and then loss during the night) from happening.

If course, adding new weather stripping to the outside of the garage would be even better but not everyone thinks of that right away.

Welcome to the Forum Jack, Keep asking questions. We all love to help, otherwise we wouldn't be here.

You may want to consider adding your location to your profile as that can help us answer some of your questions better. We wouldn't want to answer questions based on you living in Duluth, MN if you really live in Duluth, GA.

ktownskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2019, 10:06 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktownskier View Post
Insulating the door without taking care of the sides doesn't do much other than to prevent the door from transferring immense quantities of heat to the inside of the garage.

Consider this: You have a large piece of metal either 8' by 8' (sometimes two of them) or 16' by 8' (or some size close to that). It sits facing the full brunt of the sun for most of the day. The metal is getting very hot. Where does the heat go? Into the garage of course. Even in the winter, that heat will go into the garage. Sometimes that heat is a good thing, sometimes it isn't. If you have living space about the garage, that fluctuation in temp is not that good of a thing.

So, by insulating the garage door, you are preventing that heat gain (and then loss during the night) from happening.

If course, adding new weather stripping to the outside of the garage would be even better but not everyone thinks of that right away.

Welcome to the Forum Jack, Keep asking questions. We all love to help, otherwise we wouldn't be here.

You may want to consider adding your location to your profile as that can help us answer some of your questions better. We wouldn't want to answer questions based on you living in Duluth, MN if you really live in Duluth, GA.

how do i add location. i tried to go through profile but i dont see where i put my location. ?.
jackallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2019, 01:38 AM   #4
retired framer

Rewards Points: 282

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackallis View Post
how do i add location. i tried to go through profile but i dont see where i put my location. ?.
Edit your details is there too. It is dow a few sections from the top of that page.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 06:58 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 4

At the top of the page on the left, there is User CP (Control Panel).

Click on it and it will bring up your Control Panel.

On the left side at the top, Click on the Edit your Profile button.

Towards the bottom, you will see Additional Information. You can add your location there.

ktownskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 07:01 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,092

Adding insulation to a drafty house doesn't make sense either , same scenario with a garage door . Just like insulating a house when you do a garage door the insulation is part of the system . You need a good seal at the bottom of the door and on both sides and top . Generally speaking you won't get a garage door to seal as well as a house door but it can be greatly improved .

I don't think there is any question that insulating the garage door helps control the inside garage temps . But does the garage have decent insulation in the walls ? Does it have a finished ceiling ? Ceiling insulation ? Adequate venting ? Is it a controlled space with HVAC ? In the past I have added insulation to non-insulated doors and I have purchased insulated doors and both do the job . Touch the insulation with your hand after the sun has been beating on the door for 3+ hours and it is cool to the touch . Now touch the hinges or metal framework that are not insulated and in some cases you can barely touch them that are so hot .
Porsche986S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 07:31 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 40

The garage door on my barn, the cheapest I could buy, installed about 16 years ago now, has weatherstripping along the sides. It's almost totally air-tight. And it has a thin layer of foam insulation on the insides of the panels.

If it was a heated space, I could definitely see that adding more insulation would help. Of course, doing so without good side weatherstripping would be a bit pointless.

Oddly enough, I never noticed the door getting warm in the sun. It's painted white; that's got to help. And the sun would only hit at a glancing angle when it's high. Many garages have an overhang which would also help.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 08:27 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 308

I dunno. Insulating the doors without plugging any air holes would still do something, just not as much as if you'd plugged the air holes too.

You improve the conduction and radiation heat transfer, but do nothing for the convection heat transfer.
huesmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 03:08 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 7,354

In Alaska we have ... uhm... bristle strips?

garage door insulation - fad or it works?-20190715_115810.jpg

They just call it garage door seal up here as far as I know. We just got this 1 1/2" long bristle one, the one we had before was only half inch and wasn't doing a very good job.

They work pretty awesome IMO. We had the guy fix our bottom door seal and put these things in and it made a HUGE difference. (Won't know how much better it is until like February when it's -30*F)

(I'm not a professional, just a homeowner who dabbles in a bit of everything DIY)

Last edited by Mystriss; 07-15-2019 at 03:11 PM.
Mystriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement