Garage Cooling Ideas? - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Bud9051
  • 2 Post By APA
  • 1 Post By EarthwoolAU

Old 07-25-2018, 09:12 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 4
Arrow

Garage Cooling Ideas?

So I have all things working against me.....I live in Florida where its 90 degrees and above during the day and My house faces to the west so it gets all the max sunlight and heat.

I have a 1500 Sqft Home built in 2010. In the attic there is insulation covering the entire home, EXCEPT the garage. Above the garage there is nothing at all.

Well I like to spend 90% of my time in the garage working on things, but its literally 30 degrees hotter in there than the rest of the house and if I open the garage door, the sun just blast through and it feels like hell.

So my question is, Would installing insulation above the garage help or hurt? Is there any kind of vent I can put in to make it cooler?

Any ideas?
firemartinez80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2018, 09:40 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 382

Re: Garage Cooling Ideas?

The only time I've seen insulation hurt is when it is installed incorrectly.
To elaborate some, is the garage door facing west, is it a insulated door and is there insulation in the exterior garage walls?

Venting? if the attic is open to the remainder of the house attic that's vented, more venting would have negligible effect.

And there are air conditioners sized for those of us that like working in the garage but I'm a early riser an vacate that area about 9:00 am.
SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2018, 09:44 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 4

Yea, the garage door faces due west and its not insulated at all. I am pretty sure the garage walls don't have insulation either.
firemartinez80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2018, 09:47 AM   #4
Guapo

Rewards Points: 11,950

Would an exhaust fan help?
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Guap0_ For This Useful Post:
firemartinez80 (07-25-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 10:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guap0_ View Post
Would an exhaust fan help?
Yep, until the indoor temperature increases to around 80. If the overnight low temp is 75 that kind of limits work time for anyone that sleeps til 7. Even a box fan helps but an exhaust fan in a window excels if there is wood working and saw/sanding dust.
The Following User Says Thank You to SeniorSitizen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2018, 10:12 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 222

The deep south is an area where understanding and using radiant barriers can be very beneficial. Unfortunately few understand them and thus guidance will be all over the place on the internet.

Let's start with some basics. When the sun heats up the roof or those garage doors how does that heat get further inside your garage? Note, there are only 3 modes of heat transport, conduction, convection, and radiant transfer. From the bottom of your very hot roof sheathing some heat conducts through air to air molecules, but air is a very poor conductor so we will drop that one. Convection does not do well as the hottest air is already at the top so it isn't going to circulate down into the garage very easily, drop most of that one as well.

That leaves radiant energy which travels at the speed of light (almost) and can easily jump through the air space from roof deck to everything below. And that is where you can best invest some time and dollars, into a good radiant barrier covering all surfaces of the roof rafters. Fortunately reflective materials are on the inexpensive side.

Much more but all for now.

Bud
firemartinez80 likes this.
Bud9051 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bud9051 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2018, 10:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud9051 View Post
invest some time and dollars, into a good radiant barrier covering all surfaces of the roof rafters.

Bud
Is there a preferred method of covering all surfaces of the rafters?
Old 07-25-2018, 10:37 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 222

Some would simply staple a reflective sheet across the bottom of the rafters. Best if it is reflective on both sides. Others would do the up and down to loop over each rafter and get up as tight as possible to the bottom of the roof.

Straight across works well if you also have soffit to ridge vent air flow.

Initially a RB will reject 98% of the heat trying to radiate down to the floor (emissivity). The upper reflective surface is rejecting 98% of the radiant energy sending it back to the roof deck, hotter roof and shingles. I have a link somewhere from Florida solar as to why that isn't terrible.

As for getting the RB up against the bottom of the roof, when built they use sheathing with a foil surface on the bottom in the south. Actually not a bad idea in many locations. As a retrofit one can install 1/2" foil faced rigid insulation glued between the rafters. That still leaves the rafters exposed but gets 80% of the area covered.

Moving up, if the opportunity arises they offer more reflective shingles so the excess heat never reached the roof in the first place.

Bud
Bud9051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 10:55 AM   #9

I can see where the radiant barrier done post construction could be a nightmare to accomplish and in a short while it would look as bad as the vapor barrier in crawl spaces. I believe I'd be going with foil surfaced sheathing at the time of construction or not at all.
Old 07-28-2018, 09:50 AM   #10
APA

Rewards Points: 384

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemartinez80 View Post
So I have all things working against me.....I live in Florida where its 90 degrees and above during the day and My house faces to the west so it gets all the max sunlight and heat.

I have a 1500 Sqft Home built in 2010. In the attic there is insulation covering the entire home, EXCEPT the garage. Above the garage there is nothing at all.

Well I like to spend 90% of my time in the garage working on things, but its literally 30 degrees hotter in there than the rest of the house and if I open the garage door, the sun just blast through and it feels like hell.

So my question is, Would installing insulation above the garage help or hurt? Is there any kind of vent I can put in to make it cooler?

Any ideas?

Insulate your garage and install a window AC unit. Plenty of online guidance on how to do that...
SeniorSitizen and Dave Sal like this.
APA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 12:23 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 12

an exhaust fan would definitely work and some extra windows for additional ventilation, try setting up two exhaust fan one that gets the air out and one that gets the air in for optimum air circulation
Guap0_ likes this.

Last edited by EarthwoolAU; 07-31-2018 at 12:23 AM. Reason: mispelled
EarthwoolAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 02:20 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,094

I am now near completion of my 2nd man cave garage in GA. so deal with nearly the same weather conditions as you ( hot and humid ) . I am no expert just a life long DIYer and here is what I have done in both .

1.Insulate the walls to the max that you can .
2.Add radiant barrier to the bottom of the rafters under the roof deck . In most cases that gives a 3.5 " air gap between the deck and the barrier.
3.You have to have good attic ventilation so that normally means soffit and ridge vents.
4.Garage door needs to be insulated .
5.Have at least R38 insulation in the attic ceiling if not more.

My first garage was 24 x 26 the one I'm building now is 24 x 28 with 12 ' ceiling . My last one with a Mitsubishi mini split would cool the garage in about 15 - 20 minutes from when it was turned on , same for heat mode .I am installing the same unit in this garage and I expect the same results .
Porsche986S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement