Gaps In Attic Insulation Along Roofing Edge - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Gregsoldtruck79
  • 1 Post By Nealtw

Old 06-24-2018, 06:45 PM   #1

Gaps in Attic insulation along roofing edge

Currently battling 95 degree days that keep my upstairs sweltering and my ac unable to keep up. My attic is a sauna and I feel like the heat permeates through. While up there today i noticed light coming in around the entire perimeter of the roof line with insulation stopping about 2" short. Could this be a cause of extreme heat or was this done on purpose to encourage ventilation?
Attached Thumbnails
Gaps in Attic insulation along roofing edge-20180624_192715_1529883879332.jpg  
Hardeeba is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2018, 06:53 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 88

Re: Gaps in Attic insulation along roofing edge

Yes, its normal. The air needs to come up through the soffits vents, travel under the roof decking and out through a ridge ventilator or multiple single roof vents.

From my screen, it does not look like you have more then 4-6 inches of insulation on top of your ceilings which is not enough. Have you measured the depth of it ?
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2018, 06:58 PM   #3
retired framer

Rewards Points: 628

Yes you do need more insulation and you will need to add air chutes to maintain that air flow from the soffit before you do any more.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2018, 07:00 PM   #4

It's about 6-6.5 inches deep, thought it seemed shallow, looks like 10-14" is closer to standard.
Hardeeba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 07:27 PM   #5
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardeeba View Post
It's about 6-6.5 inches deep, thought it seemed shallow, looks like 10-14" is closer to standard.
Inches of a type would give you R value for what you have and you could call the city building dept. for what is required for the area. It looked to me that with out the are chutes the wind just blew it away from the outer wall.
The chutes are like egg carton material against the roof sheeting and the rest of the hole to the wall below is blocked with some bat insulation to keep the wind from moving things around and stop the loose from going out to the soffit.
Old 06-24-2018, 07:48 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 88

While you are looking in to upgrading the attics insulation, look for any of these items on my sketch on your roof. It should have at least one type of attic venting system product shown on it.
Nealtw likes this.

Last edited by Gregsoldtruck79; 06-25-2018 at 10:07 AM.
Gregsoldtruck79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 02:52 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 22

While I'm not recommending the OP install a power attic fan, my upper attic used to get up to 125 degrees on a hot, sunny day. I had minimal insulation, not enough soffit vents, and not enough static vents on the roof. I've since added additional insulation and currently have about R60 or so, have 25 soffit vents and added the power attic fan which keeps the attic around 103 on a hot day. Normally the attic stays just a few degrees above the outdoor temperature.
Dave Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 03:09 PM   #8
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Sal View Post
While I'm not recommending the OP install a power attic fan, my upper attic used to get up to 125 degrees on a hot, sunny day. I had minimal insulation, not enough soffit vents, and not enough static vents on the roof. I've since added additional insulation and currently have about R60 or so, have 25 soffit vents and added the power attic fan which keeps the attic around 103 on a hot day. Normally the attic stays just a few degrees above the outdoor temperature.
Power vent will work but if you can't be sure there are now leaks from the living space, they can pull house air up. Not so bad if the house has low humidity.
Dave Sal likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement