Gambrel Attic Insulation - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-11-2014, 12:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

Gambrel Attic Insulation

Background: New owner of '79 tri-level house, N. Illinois, initial blown-in insulation, no baffles, vinyl siding, two attics.

I am trying to improve ventilation and insulation. 1st level attic straight forward. Second floor attic is an issue.

2nd floor Gambrel roof: On the side wall I removed some of the solid vinyl soffit (should have been vent vinyl panel) l and found original soffit opening in wood soffit. When I look up the side wall I see 1.5 " opening between side wall and attic plugged with insulation as well as some insulation has fallen into the side wall. When I look from attic to side wall I see 1.5" inch opening before a 2x6. I can not just slide a baffle as it would hit the 2x6. I would have to bend the baffle before the 2x6 somehow,and then unplug 1.5" opening.

The 2nd floor attic also has power attic van and one gable vent. The power fan was never hooked up by previous owner

I received many insulation quotes. Many say not to add baffles/soffit vents as it will produce cold walls. Some say add additional vents lower on roof and just vent between lower and higher roof vents.

What to do?
ken57kogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2014, 12:37 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 944

Ventilation should be balanced and without intake air, a PAV (Powered Attic Ventilator) will just pull air from the conditioned space below.

Post up some pictures when you get enough posts.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2014, 08:18 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 4

Added pictures.

Good point about the PAF. Forget to mention the 2nd gambrel attic space is ~1,000 sq ft in addition to the PAF (not yet hooked up) it has 4 traditional vents on peek and the 1 gable vent.

Trying to determine best inbound source for venting.
1. Do I add soffit vents at bottom or side wall and unplug the 1.5" inch opening between attic and side wall? My concern is side walls will get cold. I believe the 2nd floor walls are drywall, std insulation between studs and wall board as seen in the photos.
2. Add more roof vents lower on roof close to where side wall meets roof? Could there be a concern any backflow in to the vent from snow/ice as melts during the winter?
Attached Thumbnails
Gambrel Attic Insulation-house.jpg   Gambrel Attic Insulation-view-side-wall..jpg   Gambrel Attic Insulation-original-soffit-vent.jpg   Gambrel Attic Insulation-looking-up-soffit-opening-attic.jpg   Gambrel Attic Insulation-1.5-inch-side-wall-before-2x4.jpg  

ken57kogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2014, 03:57 PM   #4
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 944

I would use SmartVent or similar above deck vent on those sections.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement