Furring Wall Question - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-04-2015, 12:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 14
Question

Furring Wall Question

Hello all, my name is Mike and I'm opening a brewery in Syracuse, NY. I am currently renovating my space and need some advice...

The building has CMU walls that need to be insulated. I am planning on furring out the interior walls with 24" o.c. 2x6 in order to accept R-23 roxul. So here's my problem, every 12' or so an 18" wide column of block protrudes out of the wall 4". I would prefer not to jog around these columns and was wondering if I could build off the wall 4" so that I run in front of these columns which would greatly simplify my construction and eventual sheathing? I was thinking of installing a poly vapor barrier to the back of the furring walls to assist with the insulation installation. If this is a bad idea, could you suggest a simple method of jogging around the columns. Thanks all for any help that you can provide.

-Mike-
SyrBrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2015, 10:59 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 60

If you would accept the advice of a newbie: installing poly vapor barrier on a cmu wall is bad practice because it could make a mold environment with the 2x6 wood (mold food) and water or water vapor (which has no where to go except back through the block). I've read, and I'm currently installing in my basement, XPS foam boards glued directly to the CMU, with a stud wall in front of that. The XPS acts as insulation, vapor barrier, and prevents thermal bridging. Of course, check with your local code authority if this practice is allowed in a commercial/industrial facility, like yours.
Regards,
Theodore
Theodore2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2015, 04:58 AM   #3
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE

Rewards Points: 1,778

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theodore2 View Post
If you would accept the advice of a newbie: installing poly vapor barrier on a cmu wall is bad practice because it could make a mold environment with the 2x6 wood (mold food) and water or water vapor (which has no where to go except back through the block). I've read, and I'm currently installing in my basement, XPS foam boards glued directly to the CMU, with a stud wall in front of that. The XPS acts as insulation, vapor barrier, and prevents thermal bridging. Of course, check with your local code authority if this practice is allowed in a commercial/industrial facility, like yours.
Regards,
Theodore
Our inspector does not accept the foam board as vapor barrier here.

As mentioned, the vapor barrier goes on after the insulation is in place.

As for your jog, 2x6's and when you get to the columns, 2x2' or 2x3's sideways with 1-1/2" foam board between.
4" + 1-1/2" = 5-1/2" same as the 2x6. Pretty simple.
123pugsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2015, 11:09 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 118

Foam is non-permeable and should be considered a barrier. In fact it's far superior to a vapor barrier.

Must be some stupid code technicality. government blows sometimes.
I am not in the business of any trade I give advice on. I have non-professional hvac experience + good knowledge of theory. Attempt repairs at your own risk. Never jump out safeties - especially pressure switches - on a furnace for testing with fuel supply on; use a meter. Do not troubleshoot with live line voltage present unless there's no alternative.
user_12345a is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 06:40 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 44

Commercial space often has additional restrictions, requirements and regulations than residential space. Please check with the local building inspection department to avoid unnecessary loss of time and money.
Colbyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement