Freezing Walls - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-10-2012, 09:28 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Freezing Walls

I bought a house 4 years ago and the first winter in 2 of the bedrooms anything against the wall froze. There was also a small layer of ice that had formed on the inside of the wall. We found as long as we move everything away from the walls in the winter to keep the air flow moving it was fine. I obviously want to fix this problems but don't know where to start? The windows ice up unless plastic is placed over them. Is this a vapour barrier issue, insulation???? I need help. I would rather not hire someone until I at least know what needs to be done so I know what kind of budget I need. the room below the one room does not have heat in it as it is a storage room and heat was never put in. Any suggestions?
diyperkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2012, 11:36 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 272

Where do you live( update profile location) what is the framing of the house, how old is the house, what type of exterior is it, do you know if there is any insulation? Pics help. You need to provide a lot more information in order to get some kind of answer that is simply not a guess.
fixrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2012, 11:52 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

freezing walls

here is the information that I know. I live in Saskatchewan, Canada. the house was an old farm house from 1963 that was moved and put on a new foundation in 2001. It is wood frame, not sure of the wall depth but the window sills are a lot narrower at this side of the house than the rest. (I can't get blinds to fit properly) not sure if that makes any difference. The exterior is vinyl siding and I don't really know if there is insulation or not. I guess I need to know whether I need to "punch" holes in the walls to figure some of these things out?? I know that the house was a flip house and gutting and redone. I however don't know what was exactly all done and unfortunately I didn't know enough to ask if they got permits as we weren't told this was a flip house. We only found out after. I hope this helps.
diyperkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2012, 12:21 PM   #4

you can check to see if and when how many permits were taken out on that house by checking with city hall. If it was done correctly you will both find the permits and what exactly was done. This should give you a lot more information. Since this does seem to be an issue I would not hesitate to take a look inside one of the walls, worst case scenario is that you would need to do some drywall repair. If the windows are vinyl they may of been a retrofit which is why you have a challenge with the window coverings. Retro fit vinyl windows tend to sit on the inside of the framing and thus give less room for blinds,etc that one normally wants to install within the window frame.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:22 PM   #5

If you could provide some pics it tends to help a whole bunch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement