Freezing Room Above Garage - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-08-2015, 10:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

Freezing room above garage

Good evening all, this is my first post to the DIY Chatroom... so here goes!

Garage: It's a double car garage, the seal seems good (not brittle etc) and two walls are internal (one to the basement room, and one to the furnace room: both warm)

There were leaks from a roof problem with the previous owner. The drywall in the ceiling was cut into and replaced only with 1/2" thick plywood in a few places.

Problem:
I moved in last year and we found that winter was really cold only in the room above the garage. There is a freezing cold spot on the floor above the garage ceiling repair area and the feeling of cold air but I cannot find any leak.

Also, the heating duct everywhere else has nice flow but the vent for our bedroom has hardly any heat coming out.

Attempted solution:
I shrink wrapped plastic to the windows last winter but no real help and they are new windows too.

What should I do to help? I have attached some photos to try and explain the situation. In photo wall_ceiling_pipes you can see the plywood covering on the ceiling for the old leak area.

Photo pipe_at_exterior_wall shows that the bare concrete is exposed in one small area behind the pipe for a repair likely. I stuffed some loose insulation they had up above and if you look at the top left I blew in some gap filler.

I am wondering if the ceiling should have insulation screwed to it and then drywall ceiling attached? Or... do something to the walls etc.. any advice?

Thank you team!
Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Freezing room above garage-z_beside_gdoor.jpg   Freezing room above garage-z_wall_ceiling_pipes.jpg   Freezing room above garage-z_above_gdoor.jpg   Freezing room above garage-z_ceiling-1-.jpg  
Attached Images

encyclical is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2015, 11:46 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 6,652

Someone forgot to insulate between the garage ceiling and the upstairs floor. Spray foam is going to probably be the best way to do it. Having that drain pipe open to cold air, is going to cause headaches, if the water freezes in there.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (06-08-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2015, 05:05 AM   #3
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 848

With as disjointed as that set up looks. Might be nice to drop the ceiling, insulate and re-approach.

Garage ceilings are almost universally done incorrectly.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
beenthere (06-09-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
garage , insulation , winter