Foil Bubble Insulation Uses??? - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-21-2014, 03:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 986

foil bubble insulation uses???

Not sure of the brand, but a while back I had a neighbor that was moving sell me 2 rolls (and some scrap pieces) of 2' x 4' rolls of this stuff. I only paid about $50, and I needed some so it worked out well for me. Problem is I still have most of it, so I'm trying to figure out the best way(s) to use it. I've done some reading and it seems it really requires an air barrier to give any R-value and to be very effective.

I had thought about wrapping my 50 gallon Bradford White Gas water heater, but if it needs an air gap, not sure how I'd gain that, unless I created some strips out of it and wrapped those around first.

I had also thought about using it around some duct work, but again, sounds like I need the air barrier.

I also have an attic space that we use for storage, it has a walk in door off the 2nd floor. I'm guessing it would keep my attic cooler, if I were to staple that to the bottom sides of the joists. I suppose that would be the ideal use as it would have the needed air barrier, but I still should have a lot left.

Any other good uses around the house?

***I actually bought it to hold fiberglass batting I had installed in my garage attic and I've started that job and will be curious how much warmer my garage stays this winter. I only had part of it batted, because it kept falling. I figured this stuff would help hold the fiberglass up and possibly radiate the heat back down.....

I'm sure if I do all the above, I'll be close to getting it used up, but if not I might use it in some areas in my basement, were I've been insulating the concrete block foundation walls.
Master Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2014, 03:56 PM   #2

On yeah, if I use it in the attic above house, do I need to worry about the air space between deck and foil being vented? I'm guessing that would defeat the purpose if it was, but it came to mind, since attics tend to be vented!

I'm also wondering about using it in some attic spaces, I've mentioned on another thread in here. That's what made me wonder about it needing to be vented anywhere. If I lined that attic space and it dead ended at a point where the rest of the roof line was insulated would that matter?
http://www.diychatroom.com/f103/insu...-attic-203622/

Last edited by Master Brian; 07-21-2014 at 04:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2014, 10:09 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

There are basically three types of heat transfer..
1) Conduction - Heat transfer from one surface to the next. Burning your hand on the stove or picking up a hot piece of metal are both examples of conduction.

2) Convection - Air that has been warmed by a hot surface rises and transfers energy.

3) Infrared. - Electromagnetic radiation... The heat you feel from a camp fire is normally infrared heat.. Or when you walk close to a large hot surface and you can "feel" the heat from 5 feet away..

There are basically two types of radiant barrier.. 1) Foil-Bubble 2) Straight Foil.

All radiant barrier is designed to primarily stop Infrared heat transfer.. Some radiant products include a bubble layer between two foil layers to help reduce conduction transfer.

The air gap requirement is there so that the radiant barrier product doesn't become a conduction pathway for thermal transfer. By having an air gap, thermal transfer is mostly limited to convection.

The best use of your supply would probably be to install it to the bottom side of the trusses that support your roof decking.. Be sure to leave the gap clear between trusses so that the convection currents can find their way to your roof (ridge) venting.
PaulBob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaulBob For This Useful Post:
Windows on Wash (07-22-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2014, 10:06 AM   #4
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 1,054

Good advice PB and solid explanation.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:32 AM   #5

What if I don't have any ridge venting? Does it become useless to do? I suppose it wouldn't be hard to go up on the roof and add some, but at some point, I'd really like to just insulate that roofline, like a vaulted ceiling would be, and turn it into a more climate controlled space. So because of that, I don't want to add any more roof vents.

The explanation was very good though, thanks!!
Old 07-22-2014, 12:06 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Brian View Post
What if I don't have any ridge venting? Does it become useless to do? I suppose it wouldn't be hard to go up on the roof and add some, but at some point, I'd really like to just insulate that roofline, like a vaulted ceiling would be, and turn it into a more climate controlled space. So because of that, I don't want to add any more roof vents.

The explanation was very good though, thanks!!
HUH? I'm no construction expert but I've never seen a home without some kind of vent at the peak of the roof.. Whether it be individual ridge vent fixtures, or a continuous built-in ridge vent, or a gable vent, there has to be something yes???
Just make sure you don't block the airflow off..
PaulBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 02:11 PM   #7

No ridge vent. No gable vent, unless you count the window, which I occasionally do open in summer to vent with. I do however have two roof vents, but they are about 2/3 up the roof line. Don't see how any of those would vent any air trapped by the foil.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:22 PM   #8
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 1,054

The window is functioning (albeit only when open) as the vent.

Is the roof due for a replacement anytime soon?

In order to keep out and/or direct the heat, it works best to allow for some convection and you need intake and exhaust air along the eave and ridge line for that.

Radiant barrier in the attic, as you describe, will just move the heat around.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement