Foamboard Application - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-21-2016, 09:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 95

Foamboard Application

I am building a cold room in my basement that I will refrigerate wine and beer. I am using the space under my basement stairs and originally planned to just att 3.5" of foamboard on the inside, spray foam all the seams, add a A/C window and replace the door with an exterior door. While reading up I see that I have a problem that you can't leave foamboard exposed in a living space and since there is a door this will qualify as a living space.

Is there anything easier to put up or is drywall my only option for this application? I guess I was hoping there was some kind of roll on barrier that I could use. What about 1/4" plywood or paneling? I really don't care what it looks like and carrying 4x8 sheets of drywall by myself isn't fun but I will do it if I have no other options.
jsbeckton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2016, 05:27 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 944

Re: Foamboard Application

You will need to check with local code enforcement, but most will say that anything connected to the living space is covered by the same rules.

For example, there are rules governing the exposure of foam in crawlspaces and attics as well and if they are used for storage vs. access for utility servicing.

Check with you local code office and they should be able to tell you exactly what you will need to use.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2016, 08:03 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,916

So where's all the hot air and moisture going to drain and vent to from this A/C unit?
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2016, 08:31 AM   #4

It will just be the unfinished basement that gets the excess heat and condensation. From reading about similar projects, if you insulate well the unit will not run often so very little of that to deal with.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:53 PM   #5
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 102

You might be adding a lot of condensation into your basement and the rest of your house. As well, you will need a way to capture the liquid condensate from the a/c. Finally, you need a way to replace the air that the a/c will be sucking out of the room.
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:29 PM   #6

Not really a problem, the AC isn't adding and moisture to the basement, if anything it's removing some it if it drips. I have a dehumidifier anyways so no concerns there.

Also, a AC doesn't remove air from a room - that would be very inefficient; it returns the chilled air to the room it drew it from in the first place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement