Floor And Ceiling Insulation - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-11-2019, 11:05 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

Floor and ceiling insulation

I would like to use rockwool insulation in a converted workshed. I plan to use R15 in stud walls with vapor barrier and sheet rock. I would like advice on the floor joists and ceiling joists. The floor joists will float over an existing concrete pad that gets moist in the winter. I will use 2x8" PT joists on piers and hangers; they will not touch concrete pad. The flooring on top of pad will be 3/4" ply that will be sealed and painted. It will be a ceramic studio so the floor might get wet and will be mopped up alot. If I put rockwool in between the joists, flush with the top of joists, do I need a vapor barrier? Would it be above or below the wool?

The ceiling joists are 2x6 in a single slope 4/12 pitch with a metal roof over Polystick TU Plus over plywood. We have left an air gap in the blocking in each chase. The plan is to use R15 rockwool pushed flush to the bottom of the joists so that there is air flow in the chase between the wool and the roof so moisture can evaporate. (R23 -5.5" thick- product would fill the chase). If I sheetrock the ceiling, do I use a vapor barrier there as well?

thanks for your considered replies
Odiyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2019, 11:28 AM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 22,182

Re: Floor and ceiling insulation

The sub floor plywood is considered the vapour barrier.

It is easier when you build the shed over the floor. Doing this we build the floor frame upside down so we can add staple on bug screen and builders screen for critters and that keeps the insulation in place when turned over.

Inside the shed you can do the same thing if you build the frame in 4 foot wide sections and move them into place, takes a few more joists.

Do yourself a faver and install some real linoleum
https://www.forbo.com/flooring/en-ca...um-real/bo49h0

I would add a 2x4 to the bottom of the ceiling joists so you can get more insulation in there and I would vapour barrier the walls and ceiling with special attention to sealing holes around lights and switches and outlets.
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2019, 12:32 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4

Re: Floor and ceiling insulation

Thanks for the reply. Good things to know.

I forgot to mention that there is a perimeter concrete footing around the base with mudsill on top and no way for varmints to get under floor. I planned to use 3/4" ply over joists as my floor; just painted with a good porch style paint. Real linoleum sounds great but expensive.

I am in the SF Bay Area so not as cold as BC and it is a workshed, so anything in ceiling is better than what is there now.
Odiyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
ceiling , floor , insulation , metal , roof