Finishing Unfinished Basement In Seattle - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-14-2016, 04:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Finishing unfinished basement in Seattle

We are finishing an unfinished walkout basement in Seattle. I've spent days reading about the proper method to insulate the walls and continue to find conflicting recommendations. We have exposed concrete on a large portion of the basement walls with wood frame on the above ground portion of the walls. The method that seems to make the most sense to me is to use 2" XPS (I'm thinking OC Formular 150) to cover the cement and also use the same 2" XPS to insert in the wood framed portion of the wall above the cement, sealing it all with something like Great Stuff. Then build a frame wall in front of this to hold gypsum drywall and fill this with unfaced insulation to bring total insulation up to code of R-21. Does this make sense? Also, I've seen some posts about the "rim joists" and using faced insulation in that portion and this is where I start getting a bit confused. I'm also wondering if it matters what type of insulation we use in the ceiling. Gary in WA, you seem to know what you're talking about. Any advice?
Also, for the concrete floor, we were thinking about covering with 1/8 inch dimpled superseal and then using a floating vinyl floor like Karndean looselay over that. Again, does anyone have advice on this? We have ceiling height limitations so don't want to do a complete build-up on the floor.
As a side note, we do have a permit for this remodel and a contractor to do the work, but he does not seem to be as concerned about the wall treatment as we are and we want to make sure we don't have issues with moisture/condensation on the walls leading to mold or mildew.
Thanks for any help!
arkwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2016, 05:41 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 128

Re: Finishing unfinished basement in Seattle

Seems to be pretty smart based on what I have been reading.

I have been reading Gary GBR stuff forever. Haven't seen him on here in a while. I think you do need to seal up the ban joist. I would just use the same stuff you have on hand.
DIYknot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DIYknot For This Useful Post:
arkwa (10-14-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement