Faced, Unfaced, Or Other Insulation? - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-19-2017, 10:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 147

Faced, Unfaced, or other insulation?

Remodeling the bathroom in my house. Replacing a standard sized tub & shower with a large tiled shower. We stripped all of the bathroom walls down to studs. The exterior wall of bathroom has insulation. However, the interior walls (where tub was) do not have insulation. On the other side of the interior wall (were tub was, and where new shower will be) is a bed room. For noise abetment, someone suggested, that since the wall is open, I put in insulation before installing cement board and tile on the shower wall (wall between shower and bedroom). Question: What kind of insulation ---faced or un-faced fiberglass? --If faced, does the faced side of the insulation, face the bedroom or bathroom? I would appreciate your help with this question. ---Jaes.
jaes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2017, 06:04 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 856

Re: Faced, Unfaced, or other insulation?

Doesn't really matter if the insulated areas you are talking about are between conditioned walls.

I would use something that is moisture insensitive like Roxul.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2017, 09:38 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 147

Re: Faced, Unfaced, or other insulation?

Windows on Wash, thanks for quick reply to my post. A friend had mentioned "Roxul" as a casual comment in passing ---I had never heard of it. I was thinking fiber glass insulation; but was open to investigating another option. So, I went to HD and saw Roxul ----somewhere on the packaging, it mentioned that it was a wood-based product. Lacking any knowledge of insulation, I figured that fiber glass would handle any moisture better than a wood-based product (I was thinking of dry rot, or something). ---So, I am ready to go to HD and buy Roxul on your recommendation. However, I would like to be educated about how it would be better than fiber glass in handling any moisture (e.g. from the shower). Be clear, I am not arguing with you, I truly just want to be educated. Thanks again, --Jaes
jaes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement