Exterier Wall Extremly Hot - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Nealtw
  • 1 Post By Saturn
  • 1 Post By Munsters1313
  • 1 Post By SPS-1

Old 08-02-2019, 10:38 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 6

Exterier wall extremly hot

I have a 2 story house built in 1974 which in the summer one of the exterior walls that gets full sun in afternoon will get extremely hot inside and out. In The evening the outside of the wall (stucco) will get so hot, you can only hold your hand on it for about 10 seconds. The outside wall will stay hot for many hours after sun goes down. The heat transfers into the house and makes one of the rooms about 10 degrees warmer than other rooms. There is insulation in this wall but not sure of the r-value. Would it be worth it to rip the drywall out and install radiant barrier and new installation? Would a radient barrier block out most of the heat and by how much? I just want to know if it is worth the work to install the RD or not.
Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2019, 10:51 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 98

Re: Exterier wall extremly hot

Radiant barriers work in some places but yours doesn't sound like one. A RB needs an air gap to minimize conduction and than the reflected heat needs a place to go. A RB on the outside sends the heat back into space and it is basically gone.

There are paint colors that reflect a significant amount of heat that may help those walls. Next would be some shade, trees or awnings.

More r-value would help but you are limited by the current depth of that wall. if you were to remove the drywall you could elect to increase the depth and then increase the insulation or at the extreme install some spray foam. Spray foam would have some concerns. But an extra 2" depth and then filled with 6" of Roxul would be an improvement.

Bud
Saturn (08-02-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2019, 11:21 AM   #3

Trees wont work as there is a big pool in the way. I have thought of an awning. Do you have any suggestions on where to buy?
So even if I remove insulation, install RB about an inch from back of stucco, install new installation that will not be beneficial? The radiant heat needs somewhere to go? Just want to make sure I understand you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2019, 11:37 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 98

Once the stucco gets hot it will heat the air both inside and outside. Outside that air and that heat will blow away. Inside that hot air will slowly work its way through the insulation to the inside drywall. Adding a RB to the inside of that exterior wall with an air gap towards the inside will reduce the radiant heat transfer but will also increase the temp of the stucco wall.The now higher temp air will continue to migrate to the inside and will heat all of the wood framing. Effectively there will be an increased r-value but that is partially offset by the decrease in wall thickness needed to allow the air gap.

Hard to add it all up but my guess is the net benefit will minimal. Consider, if this approach could make a big difference then all walls in hot climates would already be using it.

Going to thicker walls is a know and frequently used method. Combining that with lots of caulking and modern insulation (like Roxul) I'm sure you would feel a difference.

Back to the awning and any pool and patio supply company should have some and I suspect a canvas shop could make one. I have a good friend in that business and I know he makes a lot of custom awnings. Do you have room on that side?

What color is the stucco currently painted?

Bud
Saturn (08-02-2019)
Old 08-02-2019, 11:39 AM   #5
retired framer

Rewards Points: 326

There is a house at the top of the hill here that has some kind of a dark curtain they put up every year that is hung from the fascia and tied down near the foundation. P they they can see thru it from the inside.

Something like this but big.

https://www.wayfair.ca/decor-pillows...-sypl1458.html
Bud9051 likes this.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nealtw For This Useful Post:
Saturn (08-02-2019)
Old 08-02-2019, 12:33 PM   #6

Thank you! There is room for an awning. I am searching now. The house is beige in color.
Attached Thumbnails
Exterier wall extremly hot-capture3.png  
Nealtw likes this.
Old 08-02-2019, 06:26 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 136

I use many different types of shade cloth in my garden. A few weeks ago I hammered a few finish nails on the inside of my fascia and hung a 70% shade cloth to block the afternoon sun from cooking the front bedroom, that room is at least 10 degrees cooler. I was really happy that the wind is not knocking it off the nails. I pull it a little and stretch it at each nail as I put it up.
Nealtw likes this.
Munsters1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 08:02 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 11,404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn View Post
So even if I remove insulation, install RB about an inch from back of stucco, install new installation that will not be beneficial?
Pretty sure radiant barrier needs an air gap to function. So removing insulation to add radiant barrier ???? I'm not buying it. Ever notice the only ones pushing the radiant barriers are the guys selling it? I'm not saying its useless, just that I would rather have that wall full of XPS or closed cell urethane spray-foam.

Awnings over those windows would help. I had patio door that the inside of the glass would hit 120 F. I put an awning (actually a 74% canopy over the deck) over it, and now glass only gets a bit warm on the inside.
Nealtw likes this.
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 04:09 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,938

Insulation DOES NOT stop energy movement. It slows it so inside cooling can run that much more efficiently. Is it possible that room is not cooled enough or lacking returns for AC? Long term solution may be climbing plant that grows quickly and lattice 3/4 ways up the wall? Wisteria is one and can grow like a weed. Can grow in big pots.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
radiant barrier , wall insulation