Existing Basement Insulation? - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-23-2020, 08:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

Existing Basement Insulation?

Hey Fellas,

I'm in the process of remodeling the finished basement of a late 80's home that I recently purchased. Finishing the partial space not currently done correctly with XPS against the foundation wall and floor, and tearing out old drop ceiling and carpet in the space already completed previously.

A bit stuck on what to do with the finished exterior walls in that area (~60 ft total). They used poly against the foundation with a stud wall 1" away insulated with unfaced fiberglass. Not the worst way to do it, especially since most modern building science says to keep the moisture towards the foundation, but not how I would have done it either. Do I rip this down also and start over, or let it be?

Thanks!
jmon22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2020, 08:31 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 600

Re: Existing Basement Insulation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmon22 View Post
Hey Fellas,

I'm in the process of remodeling the finished basement of a late 80's home that I recently purchased. Finishing the partial space not currently done correctly with XPS against the foundation wall and floor, and tearing out old drop ceiling and carpet in the space already completed previously.

A bit stuck on what to do with the finished exterior walls in that area (~60 ft total). They used poly against the foundation with a stud wall 1" away insulated with unfaced fiberglass. Not the worst way to do it, especially since most modern building science says to keep the moisture towards the foundation, but not how I would have done it either. Do I rip this down also and start over, or let it be?

Thanks!
We don't know the quality of the work done but as described, it sounds very good. Unless there are problems that need to be addressed I would leave it be. I would pay attention to how they dealt with the rim joist if that is available to you.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2020, 08:33 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
We don't know the quality of the work done but as described, it sounds very good. Unless there are problems that need to be addressed I would leave it be. I would pay attention to how they dealt with the rim joist if that is available to you.
Thanks man. I'm taking care of that when I remove the drop ceiling with XPS and spray foam (properly fire blocked). Sensible answer and probably what I need to hear. I'm just extremely particular about doing things the correct way.
jmon22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2020, 08:39 PM   #4
retired framer

Rewards Points: 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmon22 View Post
Thanks man. I'm taking care of that when I remove the drop ceiling with XPS and spray foam (properly fire blocked). Sensible answer and probably what I need to hear. I'm just extremely particular about doing things the correct way.
We build the same wall with out the foam and add a vapour barrier behind the drywall with success. Your foam board is or should be a VB so your only worry might be outlet boxes and caulking the bottom of the wall to the concrete floor. You can put gaskets behind outlet covers.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement