Energy Saving Recessed Lights Covers - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-19-2017, 04:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 20
Question

Energy saving recessed lights covers

Hi, if we install 9 Tenmat Recessed Light Cover and air seal them how much would the attic light covers cut thermal losses of a ceiling? the home was built back in the 1970s we have fiberglass is blown in insulation but only about 7" to 9" depth,

Thanks
QC91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2017, 05:34 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 92

Re: Energy saving recessed lights covers

Older recessed lights are often not rated for contact with the insulation (3" clearance) and not air sealed. Covering them with something like a "Tenmat Recessed Light Cover" would certainly be an improvement however they were never tested or certified (UL) in that configuration. But, with common sense many people do use these covers and fortunately we now have high efficiency lights that provide the light we want with much less heat.

To put a number on it would be only a wild guess. There is thermal conduction loss along with air leakage and we just don't have test examples on every application. But, my wild guess would certainly say, well worth the effort and investment. And while you are up there dig out some of the other leaks before you bury everything in an r-60 layer of total insulation.
https://www.energystar.gov/ia/partne...ide_062507.pdf

Bud
Bud9051 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2017, 08:19 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 38

you have to be careful because the fixture is rated for a certain wattage and may overheat if you seal and cover it.

it may make sense to get fixtures specifically designed for use with insulated boxes. a vapour barrier goes over the whole box.

you can put led, but leds don't like totally enclosed, sealed fixtures. the heat kills the power supply.

really, pot lights don't belong in exposed ceilings at all. not much you can do about that though. even when done right they reduce the effective r-value of the ceiling.
I am not in the business of any trade I give advice on. I have non-professional hvac experience + good knowledge of theory. Attempt repairs at your own risk. Never jump out safeties - especially pressure switches - on a furnace for testing with fuel supply on; use a meter. Do not troubleshoot with live line voltage present unless there's no alternative.
user_12345a is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2017, 06:18 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 20

thanks everyone for the help
QC91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
air leaks , can light , energy conservation , energy saving , insulating