Durafoam - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-21-2013, 02:06 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

durafoam

Have read some posts about this but need some advice for my specific situation. I an in Canada in a cold winter, hot summer climate. I have a full concrete basement that I have fully gutted and am re doing. I have glued /⁴ " durofoam EPS board to the concrete. I plan on framing with blue board in front of the durofoam, then roxul. I will be using rigid In the joists and foaming the gaps. My biggest question is, have used a thick
Enough foam board against the concrete? And also, am I using a poly VB before drywall in this situation? The foam and roxul will give me about an R 17. Thanks in advance.
tro876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2013, 04:04 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 1,054

Keep adding rigid foam (XPS) until you get to the desired R-Value at the concrete level.

I am not sure that durafoam offers any advantages (and perhaps the opposite) over XPS.

Another 2" of XPS, sealed bands, studded wall, and batt insulation would make for a nice wall system.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2013, 08:02 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 526

Name of closest large city?

Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2013, 08:20 PM   #4

I live on Regina, Saskatchewan.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:20 PM   #5

In Regina.
Old 12-21-2013, 09:26 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 526

I checked on the facing and came up empty; http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...s_sZ_5rzmHA7lw

This site mentions a foil-facing; http://www.emmersonlumber.com/insulation.html

That facing could be problems of pooling water on the slab behind the framing IF there isn't enough above-grade concrete wall to facilitate drying from the elements, or the concrete wall has water problems (signs) now. Right now any condensation/small leaks may be evaporating away due to basement air currents. Be sure outside drainage/flower beds are slopped away from house, etc.

Fb above grade and 3' below grade is important. The 3/4" thickness (R-2.83) is minimal and with R-15 (3-1/2") Roxul i9n front; 68*F room air, using your 3 coldest monthly averages; http://www.theweathernetwork.com/for...tics/cl1030230
of 1.87C = 35*F ----your inside face of closed cell foam would be at 40*F, and the dew-point at only 35% Relative Humidity. Need a dehumidifier to keep it below that or moisture would condense there. Just use thicker foam; eg; R-10 EPS (no facer) w. R-15 cavity = 48*F at 49% RH. Or pile on some more EPS ..... Do you need the frame wall for electrical?

Gary
Old 12-22-2013, 01:44 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

What WoW and Gary said....Too bad the holmesfanforum shut down, there was lots of good info regarding this specifically for us northern Canadians. I'm in Alberta. Everything I researched told me a minimum 1.5" rigid foam was needed before you can put fiber in the wall cavity. Less than 1.5" left the dew point in the roxul or wall cavity, requiring a vapor barrier on the warm side. But now that you have <1.5" (.75") up on the cold side, you would have a double vapor barrier, trapping condensation within the wall profile. Not good. So you will need to add at least another .75" of foam to your existing .75" before adding fiber insulation. The >1.5" foam will perform as your vapor barrier and the dew point will be within it, or beyond it. The fibre insulation (if it needs to) will dry to the inside. This is really all about where the dew point is at your coldest temps.
So I think you may have 3 alternatives: 1) bond another min .75 EPS to existing (more is better), 2) ?you might be able to spray a min of .75 foam over what you have, or 3) remove the .75 and build a fiber insulation basement wall.
northernlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 02:16 AM   #8

Ok, this is great info. I am doing a lot of wiring for electrical and audio/video in that room so I definitely need it framed up. So just so I am clear on this, if I go min 1.5" foam board on concrete , then frame and roxul Batts, there will be no need for poly on the warm side? Assuming the EPS is completely sealed up floor to ceiling. And also no issues if I go back and glue . 75 over my existing. 75? Definitely wasting money over doing 1.5 but that's how we learn I guess! :-)
Old 12-22-2013, 02:46 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 75

1.5" minimum of rigid foam, properly sealed, in your climate will host the DP or move it beyond and perform as the VB you require. More is better. Do not put another VB on the warm side. You may fill the cavity with roxul if you wish, to get a higher R value. I have seen read some dispute that it's good to mix insulations of late, and some recommendations to go all foam, but it's what i did and lots of others in Canada and it works fine. Getting to R25+ with foam alone would be great but is costly.
I don't know anything about this Durafoam. I assume it's an EPS, like the white beady stuff, which does not perform as a vapor barrier alone. It's a moisture barrier. With the facing, however, it might be a VB, I suspect that's why it is faced. XPS (pink or blue stuff) is a vapor barrier in itself so it's a superior product for your application, but work with what you've got. Can you bond more foam to the Durafoam? Try it and see, or give the manufacturer a call. Don't be stingy with the glue- especially horizontally- if it bonds. Then frame in front, wire and fill the cavity with roxul. No VB. Drywall. Paint. Watch a movie.
northernlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement