Drop Ceiling With Fiberglass Batts On Top. - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree6Likes

Old 06-29-2018, 01:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 82

Drop ceiling with fiberglass batts on top.

Hi,
I'm installing my drop ceiling right now and i'm stressing about the drop height. I want to put R20 6inch batts on top, so I decided to put the drop ceiling 7 inch down from the JOISTS not from the roof. There is 6 inch of joist which I thought I would leave to fresh air, it's vented at the sides where the over hang is. See photo. The new piece of wood is where i'm ceiling will be.

I really really don't want to put up the whole ceiling and find out it's not low enough or that I should be putting the batts between the joists.

The way is at 7inch will mean that the batts should touch the bottom of the joists but not really get squished. the ceiling is 1 inch thick.

What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
Drop ceiling with fiberglass batts on top.-garageceiling.jpg  
Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2018, 01:38 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 136

Re: Drop ceiling with fiberglass batts on top.

Sounds like no drywall, thus no air barrier, a very important layer. In your cold climate warm air will be leaking through the ceiling assembly and meet a cold roof, thus condensation and ice.

Where did you get this design? You need a rigid ceiling layer in contact with a good air barrier and the insulation. Insulation levels in Quebec I suspect need to exceed the r-20 mentioned.

What am I missing?

Bud
Dave Sal likes this.
Bud9051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2018, 01:47 PM   #3

R20 apparently is good for flat roof, it's r30 for attic type. I don't know why the diff. This comes from the Gov. website.

No i'm not putting drywall. This is a garage not a living space. My plan was to put the fiberglass then vaporbarrier and no drywall on top of it.

The roof itself is membrain and then the wood you see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2018, 03:16 PM   #4

Not trying to bust your chops Guardian, just help with the proper design of your roof assembly. I believe Canada requires a vapor barrier, but the VB is not your air barrier. An air barrier is rigid and installed in contact with the insulation. The vapor barrier would go on the warm side of the insulation.

Even though this is not intended to be living space, as a garage it can encounter moisture from vehicles, that moisture will go somewhere. If this is a shop and no snow covered or wet vehicles then less of a concern but codes may not differentiate. Best I could find was R-41 for flat or vaulted ceilings.

In addition to the soffit area venting that air needs a place to go, usually a higher vent. Height is a necessary component of natural air flow.

Not sure what guidance I can provide for what you have described. Probably best to make sure local inspectors approve, they have the final say.

Bud
Old 06-29-2018, 03:43 PM   #5

"Not trying to bust your chops" But you so are trying.. and its not coming off well. and on top of that you didn't even bother to answer the question. "Not sure what guidance I can provide" I'm pretty sure you can't offer any other then telling me I need a vapor barrier after I just told you i plan to put up a vapor barrier and it doesn't mater if it's a living space blah blah.. not at all what i was asking. If you want to come on here and just tell people you don't know that they are doing everything wrong before you even know what they are doing, just do that so they don't waste time reading your message and trying to get useful info out of it, when none exists.

Now if anyone else knows if my planed ceiling is low enough for the 6 inch of insulation, I'd love to hear from you.
Old 06-29-2018, 03:52 PM   #6
retired framer

Rewards Points: 428

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
"Not trying to bust your chops" But you so are trying.. and its not coming off well. and on top of that you didn't even bother to answer the question. "Not sure what guidance I can provide" I'm pretty sure you can't offer any other then telling me I need a vapor barrier after I just told you i plan to put up a vapor barrier and it doesn't mater if it's a living space blah blah.. not at all what i was asking. If you want to come on here and just tell people you don't know that they are doing everything wrong before you even know what they are doing, just do that so they don't waste time reading your message and trying to get useful info out of it, when none exists.

Now if anyone else knows if my planed ceiling is low enough for the 6 inch of insulation, I'd love to hear from you.
I think bud just wants to understand the system.
Is the garage attached to the house, that would bring code in, in a more important way. To his point about vapour barrier, any warm moist air getting to a cold surface will add condensation and that is why you want it on the warm side of the insulation.
Guardian and jhayKnaufAU like this.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 04:02 PM   #7

I didn't mean to light your candle but I don't appreciate or deserve your flame. I'm not going to try to offer any more assistance so calm down and listen to others here.

Enjoy your project,
I'm out.
Bud
Dave Sal likes this.
Old 06-29-2018, 04:03 PM   #8

Awesome, yes and totally understand how vb's work. That's why i'm putting one in. maybe i'm mistaken but does that effect the needed height.. like i just don't get the whole conversation about the vb. i wasn't asking about a vb and when it was brought up, i said i'm putting in a vb. I know i need a vb. I love vb's. no one here ever considered insulating without one. Yes on the warm side. i know.

What i don't know is the height of my drop ceiling needs to be below the joists?

Do i put insulation in between the joists or leave is over for air like i originally planed.

my question is one of do i need air flow completely on top of the insulation of if is touches the joists does it matter? or do i want to fill the joists making no room for air, like walls?
Old 06-29-2018, 04:07 PM   #9

Yeah, Bud. I did think you were being a jerk on purpose. If that is not the case, then you are absolute right that you don't deserve the flame. Sometime in written form things can get vastly misinterpreted.
Old 06-29-2018, 04:19 PM   #10
retired framer

Quote:
Awesome, yes and totally understand how vb's work. That's why i'm putting one in. maybe i'm mistaken but does that effect the needed height.. like i just don't get the whole conversation about the vb. i wasn't asking about a vb and when it was brought up, i said i'm putting in a vb. I know i need a vb. I love vb's. no one here ever considered insulating without one. Yes on the warm side. i know.

What i don't know is the height of my drop ceiling needs to be below the joists?

Do i put insulation in between the joists or leave is over for air like i originally planed.

my question is one of do i need air flow completely on top of the insulation of if is touches the joists does it matter? or do i want to fill the joists making no room for air, like walls?
In new construction the roof would have been strapped with 2x4 on flat under the sheeting to provide air flow above joists and insulation.

There all kinds of discussions about unvented, some call for spray foam but then you want drywall over that or for most of them for fire protection.
If you vent it like you are thinking, you would want at least 1 1/2" between joists and insulation and then you have to look at vents to allow air flow thru the system.
I have not considered some of the stuff you are considering.
Here is a discussion on the subject. Good luck.
http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/...-or-unventilat
Guardian likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nealtw For This Useful Post:
Guardian (06-29-2018)
Old 06-29-2018, 05:04 PM   #11

Thanks Neal. Interesting read. I think I agree with it that injection or spray could be a nightmare if you got a leak. I also have suffits which I think is not common, (not sure) so making it complete unvented would mean replacing them with something more solid.

your suggestion of 1 1/2 inch between joists and insulation, i currently did not plan for that. But given what I read, I think i'll go for a few inches of space. I'm reading allot of difficulty air flow. Air doesn't like to move horizontally.

it's too bad it would be so easy to spray. From past horror stories i'm totally against spray, but i'm going to explore the idea.
Old 06-29-2018, 05:17 PM   #12
retired framer

Quote:
Thanks Neal. Interesting read. I think I agree with it that injection or spray could be a nightmare if you got a leak. I also have suffits which I think is not common, (not sure) so making it complete unvented would mean replacing them with something more solid.

your suggestion of 1 1/2 inch between joists and insulation, i currently did not plan for that. But given what I read, I think i'll go for a few inches of space. I'm reading allot of difficulty air flow. Air doesn't like to move horizontally.

it's too bad it would be so easy to spray. From past horror stories i'm totally against spray, but i'm going to explore the idea.
If you spray or go unvented you would just solid block the open spaces above the walls.

I guess you could make Swiss cheese out of the joists and drill holes in them.
Old 07-19-2018, 02:05 AM   #13
APA

Rewards Points: 382

FYI- When it comes to Green Building Advisor, the answer will always be closed cell spray foam covered by an avalanche dollars of cellulose covered by a taped layer of spray foam. Then when you have invested $100,000 and chokes off any air flow in your space, they will advise you to install an air exchanger and use up any utility savings running that thing...lol.
Guardian likes this.
APA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to APA For This Useful Post:
Guardian (11-20-2019)
Old 07-19-2018, 08:32 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 10

Don't you think 6inch of insulation if way too thick for a very low ceiling? Anyway I wouldn't really mind since it is not a living area, but I'm thinking if your garage is detached from your home
jhayKnaufAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 10:39 AM   #15

One year later.... and I can't remember why but unfortunately I did go with spray foam. Never again will that stuff be used in my house. thankfully it was just a garage. I now have to pull up the roof and put on a new roof with proper ventilation on top of the sprayfoam. This time not a flatroof which honestly has no business being in a cold climate. I wish wish wish i could go back in time and do the rockwool under a drop down like i originally planned. This is a warning to anyone considering spray foam. You don't come back from that decision so make is very carefully.

Ice accumulated above my sprayfoam by tiny cracks that let condensation in. I know this because IT RAINED inside when it melted in spring!!

Last edited by Guardian; 11-20-2019 at 10:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement