Door Between Basement And Rest Of Home. - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-23-2014, 06:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 240

Door between basement and rest of home.

My basement is a unconditioned space and is not insulated. In general the basement is cold (freezing) in the winter and cool in the summer. I've been in the process of insulating my home. All the doors (except the entry doors) within the house are interior 6 panel doors. The door to the basement is this type as well. One day I was doing some painting close to the bottom of the basement door and I noticed I could feel a breeze from the home to underneath the basement door. I took a lit incense stick to the bottom and noticed it was glowing bright as I bought it to underneath. The smoke was traveling into the basement.

My question is would it make sense to apply weatherstripping to this interior door and a door seal or replace it with a entry door?
steppinthrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2014, 06:55 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,916

A whole lot cheaper to just add the weather stripping.
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2014, 07:35 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 460

Open the door and place the smoke stick near floor level where you found the cold draft and then raise the stick to near the top of the door opening and see which way the smoke travels.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2014, 08:05 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 354

when are is going out, there is air coming in. weather strip all around that door. but, go around and find where the air is getting in, first.
Fix'n it is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 08:52 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 240

No, the door is a simple interior door. You know like a BR door where it is not really designed to hold back cold air etc... There is a large 2" gap or so underneath the door. My thought is it would be better to replace the entire door with a pre-hung entry door (fiberglass). It's already weather stripped and pretty much it will seal the entire basement area from the rest of the house. However, I could add a threshold and a bottom door seal and thin weather stripping to the door itself. My other issue is what is the "standard building practice"? Every house that i've been in has never had a insulated basement door or any sort, just a simply interior prehung door.
steppinthrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 09:20 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 354

i have the same door, doing the same thing. air seal it.
Fix'n it is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 09:34 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,104

Add a door-sweep to the bottom of your door and that should take care of it.
Davejss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement