DIY Dense Pack In Basement Ceiling Cavity - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-07-2014, 11:36 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

DIY dense pack in basement ceiling cavity

Hi all,

My first post here after watching from the sidelines for a while. We recently purchased a home here in SF Bay Area built in the 1960s that needs some attention in many areas. My current project has ballooned from replacing the nasty carpet in the basement's lone finished room with Allure vinyl to some significant modifications to make it work better and I am hoping to not have to pull sheetrock from the ceiling to do bat insulation.

I was wondering if anyone has experience blowing in cellulose insulation into a ceiling cavity to achieve some level of sound dampening? This room will be under our daughterís bedroom and guest bedroom and will be our main family TV room.

I donít need the level to be as much as dense pack on exterior walls, but definitely needs to be more than just a loose fill I would think.

I am thinking the cellulose might be cheaper than tearing out the drywall (and extending my project timeline even further as my wife is really wanting to see me wrap this up sooner than later), installing rock wool or fiberglass bat insulation. The room is around 12 x 25 so there is a lot of area to insulate.

Thanks for any thoughts and feedback.
bfblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2014, 07:26 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 1,022

Insulating the cavity will have little impact on the sound attenuation depending on the type of noise you are trying to dampen.

You need to uncouple the framing from the ceiling via clips, resilient channel, and sound isolation (rubber) buffers.

The framing is the dominant source of the noise and if you really want it quiet, that is what you will need to do.

If you are just looking for some modest improvement, insulating it will work. You are going to have ton of insulation up there if you dense pack it and probably much more than the drywall will be able to support. You are going to have to tear it down to batt it regardless so be sure to do it right.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2014, 08:17 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,916

http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/...oof-a-ceiling/
Advertisement