Did They Use R 13 For Ceiling Joists In The 70's - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-25-2016, 08:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 534

Did they use R 13 for ceiling joists in the 70's

Florida

I need to replace insulation in a small bathroom. I think the insulation is only R 13, but it is fluffed up in some areas, so it could be R 19. The joists are only 2x8's (not attic flat roof). Should I just put R 19 up? I don't want to block any airflow through the joists, as I'm replacing the insulation due to mold concerns already.
weatheredwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2016, 10:16 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 124

Re: Did they use R 13 for ceiling joists in the 70's

Hi weathered,
Do you know the original cause for the mold?
R-13 is possible in the 70's, but I'm not familiar with Florida or really warm climates, hiding in Maine. When I built in NJ about 72 they were at r-13 and within a couple of years went to r-19.

In any case, I suspect FL would be about r-30 now, but always confirm with local code authorities. Another concern is air leakage as all homes experience a lot of undetected air exchange. A typical number would be a complete air change in 3 hours. If your house is extremely tight then you can have air quality issues and even mold.

You are in Florida, but near the coast, up north, or down by the Keys. Looking for your daily humidity levels.

Bud
Bud9051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2016, 06:51 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 534

I'm located in Central FL near Orlando. I think the mold was from inadequate ventilation. It was just on the surface of the ceiling drywall. I added a bath fan and added a drop from the Ac.
weatheredwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2016, 07:01 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

R-19 was the standard zone 6 and colder in the 70's. Florida could be a different set of rules.

I personally would go back with R-19.

As you stated, your mold problem was most likely cause by lack of a fan. I experienced a similar problem in a rental unit here (mid 70's construction). A new ceiling, fan and oil based primer solved the problem some 10 years ago.
Colbyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 07:11 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 124

They make high density batts r-21 in fg and r-22 in mineral wool and you are correct, don't block the air flow.

As you know, mold was an inside issue. You can also add a delayed off switch to the fan so when you leave you turn it off and the fan will continue for some selected time. Also, make sure the undercut for the door is sufficient to provide a source of air fro the fan.

Note, if you have room for more insulation, there is nothing wrong with more, but best laid across the tops of full ceiling joists.

Bud
Bud9051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 08:57 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 526

R-13 always has been for 2x4 walls/ceiling... R-19 (for 2x6 ceiling) compresses a couple of inches even without a vapor barrier helping as in a crawl .. as my "70's R-19 is now 1-1/2" thick.... good stuff. R-13 replaced the R-11 here around 2011, I doubt it was R-11 also for a 2x4 space.

You speak of not blocking the air-flow above the insulation; so it is a cathedral ceiling? Or are they horizontal ceiling joists with a pitch roof above on other framing where there would be air flow over the insulation... ?

You certainly don't want oil paint for a vapor barrier on the drywall in FL.

Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement