Crawl Space Insulation Falling Down - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-11-2015, 06:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 672

Crawl space insulation falling down

I have new pier and beam home, in Houston, and see the batt insulation is coming down in about 30 places in the crawl space. Most of it is still held up with netting that was draped over the joists but some looks like it was just stuffed up in there - or maybe it had netting too but it disappeared.

The joists are 2x12s on mostly 16-17" centers. The insulation is unfaced batts and looks to be 6 1/2" deep. The dirt floor is covered with plastic.

I need to fix things up as summer and big air conditioning bills are upon us. I bought some 6 1/2 " batt but it is faced on one side. I was thinking of pushing the hanging batts back up and holding them up with steel wires and where the insulation is wet or missing, putting some new up there.

Is this a good plan, or what kind of options are open to me? Not really up to ripping everything out and replacing it, though that might be a good long run plan.

Last edited by puttster; 06-11-2015 at 06:51 PM.
puttster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2015, 07:24 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,848

Should have been faced insulation with the vapor barrier toward the floor.
If it's wet then the crawl space is still to humid.
How's it vented?
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2015, 07:35 PM   #3

House is on piers, it's all open under there. Usually it's dry but we've has a lot of rain here lately.

The summer after the house was built the hardwood floors began cupping. We had them sanded down and that's why the crawl space now has plastic over the dirt. Probably the unfaced batts did not help. Been three years since then and I'm not wanting any more hardwood floor problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2015, 07:39 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 216

At present your outdoor temperature is 88 with a dew point of 72. Get all that crap out of there and keep it out before it rots your sub floor.
SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 11:02 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 526

They should have installed a better vapor barrier under the hardwood; http://www.fortifiber.com/pdf/data_s..._aquabar_b.pdf

Maybe they used red rosin paper, equal to Sunday's funnies; http://grafbro.com/pdf/NWFA_INSTALLATION_GUIDELINES.pdf

You could always add foamboard for warm toes in winter and to stop any future problems; http://www.jlconline.com/coastal-con...w-country.aspx

Gary
Old 06-12-2015, 01:01 AM   #6

Either remove it, be it faced or non faced, or increase the floor temperature until it's above dew point temperature. Your floor has a condensation problem.
Old 06-12-2015, 04:58 AM   #7

What's a good way to keep the old insulation up and a good way to secure the new insulation?
Old 06-12-2015, 07:35 AM   #8
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 766

Use foam board to cover the exposed framing as Gary mentioned in his post.

http://www.jlconline.com/coastal-con...w-country.aspx
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 10:54 AM   #9

I'll be forced to un-subscribe to this thread since it makes me sick to read where someone repeats the same mistake and expects different results.

I'll make a note of the title and if I live 4 or 5 more years I'll check back to see how the mold remediation process went.

Since the OP is DIY it shouldn't end up in court class action.
Old 06-12-2015, 02:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorSitizen View Post
At present your outdoor temperature is 88 with a dew point of 72. Get all that crap out of there and keep it out before it rots your sub floor.
"Help, I have an infected finger."
"CHOP IT OFF!!"
Old 06-12-2015, 08:57 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 286

puttster, since the fiberglass is wet now due to the tremendous rains, it seems a good idea to remove them as senior and others have said to avoid your wood rotting. It's not that hard, just takes time and keeping your eye around you. I took about 900 sq. feet of blown in fiberglass down last summer as well as a few rolls (which came down so much easier). I wanted to make sure the floor joists were not wet/rotten. When fiberglass is hanging down, it's a classic sign they are moist. Left alone in humidity, well thats a set up for mold growth.

Buy one of those remote control temp/humidity LCD monitors and see what the dew point is underneath. While your there, take down the net and pull down some of the hanging fiberglass. Your wood floors above will love it and you can better plan your next step.

Think my job, with help, took 3 days plus what I did personally but it was two large crawl space areas.
ProGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement