Covering Insulation - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-23-2015, 07:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 22
Question

Covering insulation

Just had my rough-in inspection for my basement and passed. But the inspector said after I insulate this fireplace cove (which I've framed over), I need to cover the insulation. I do not plan on putting a fireplace here, just TV on the wall and AV stuff underneath.

I should have asked him what materials are acceptable but I didn't think of it at the time.

Looking at HD's website, I don't see anything obvious. I know it exists, I've seen it, I just don't know what exactly it's called.

I happen to have some of this, would that work? Or should I use something fire rated?
patgmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2015, 08:14 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,894

Outside wall?
Why in the world would you install the 2 X 4's flat like that and not have them 16 or 24" on center?
If I was installing a TV and AV stuff I would have installed vertical 2 X 6's where it mounts, recessed outlet and cable box behind where the TV mounts.
Conduit from where the A/V equipment sits to behind the TV so wires could be added or pulled.
Boxed in the area where the A/V equipment goes with 3/4" cabinet grade plywood.
There is no need for fire code sheet rock unless there's another dwelling on the other side of that wall or a garage.
No pressure treated bottom plate?
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2015, 10:22 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 22

I did the flat 2x4's because that's what was done on my main floor upstairs by the builder (house is only 6mos old) above the fireplace and it seemed to work out well for holding a TV mount (55" LED). I could have done vertical 2x6's but this is what I had at the time. I am mounting a 60" plasma so if you think 2x6's would be better, I may switch that out. The plasma is obviously heavier than the LED I have upstairs.

The AV area will be boxed in with 3/4. The AV box will have power outlet, and low voltage box for speaker wire/hdmi/ethernet/etc. None of that wall is actually fastened yet. I only put it in place for the inspection. I need to pull it out to get the insulation behind it. I will be doing some kind of conduit.

Perhaps my picture wasn't clear enough, but my question was not about that TV mounting wall/area, though I do appreciate the comments, I will keep them in mind when I start to finalize that wall. If you look behind that wall I built, it's cut out for a fireplace which I need to insulate. I was asking about what type of plastic (not sheetrock) I would use to cover that insulation.

That is PT on the bottom plate. My HD does not color it green.

Thanks for your help!
patgmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
basement insulation