Cold Water Pipes Frozen But Hard To Get At - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-25-2014, 06:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 164

Cold water pipes frozen but hard to get at

I have several different insulation ideas that I purchased. Insulation wrap which is about 2 inches the silver padded tape. And the foam that comes in the 8 foot sections black foam that you just wraparound. My problem is getting at the actual pipes that are frozen there very close to the wood and they even cross over the hot water line they run in between the walls very difficult to get at to wrap and insulate. So it looks like a mix-and-match said I silver tape to where I could I use the foam covers where I could and the fiberglass wrap where I could but the lines to the cold washer has frozen two times in the past 10 days. I'm going to get some R30 and put it up against the back wall behind it as well is there anything else I can do to stop this from happening again I have been and probably will not use the hairdryer any type of warming device to thaw out the lines too concerned with starting a fire.
68MHJCs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2014, 07:05 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 164

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68MHJCs
I have several different insulation ideas that I purchased. Insulation wrap which is about 2 inches the silver padded tape. And the foam that comes in the 8 foot sections black foam that you just wraparound. My problem is getting at the actual pipes that are frozen there very close to the wood and they even cross over the hot water line they run in between the walls very difficult to get at to wrap and insulate. So it looks like a mix-and-match said I silver tape to where I could I use the foam covers where I could and the fiberglass wrap where I could but the lines to the cold washer has frozen two times in the past 10 days. I'm going to get some R30 and put it up against the back wall behind it as well is there anything else I can do to stop this from happening again I have been and probably will not use the hairdryer any type of warming device to thaw out the lines too concerned with starting a fire.
but hard to get at sorry for the typo .
68MHJCs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2014, 07:34 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 154

Gotta get more insulation between those pipes and the exterior wall that is exposed to the cold air. I don't know how the wall is set up from your description or what's there already, but just cramming a little bit here and there wherever you can reach light not be enough. I have a relative who is going through this right now. She's going to demo that wall and insulate it properly to fix to problem.

Running pipes through exterior walls is something to avoided wherever possible, but it still happens for a variety of reasons. It was done a lot on older homes and in certain situations where it just isn't possible to do it any other way. Where you may really run into a problem is if there isn't sufficient space to get enough insulation in there to stop this from happening again.
eharri3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2014, 06:41 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 125

Pics might help.

Helped a neighbor out with a similar situation, couldn't get at the pipes themselves well enough to wrap anything on them. Had some 1/4" Foamular fanfold that I persuaded around it as a shell to box them in, taped the seams airtight as much as possible and stuffed it w/ fiberglass, so far the polar vortex hasn't frozen them this year so even though it isn't pretty, it seems to work.
ThatDaveGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement