Cellulose Insulation With Foam Board - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-14-2018, 02:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Cellulose insulation with foam board

I have a one story building with plastic siding on the outside near Winston Salem NC. I was planning to use dense pack cellulose in the walls but since the building has no wrap on the outside wall should I put in foam or foam board on the wall then
put in the cellulose or just use cellulose. Also should I use the cellulose which has boric acid. Thank you
rfhjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2018, 03:53 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 188

Re: Cellulose insulation with foam board

Can you explain all layers on your walls. You say (plastic siding (I assume vinyl) but what is under that? looking for a layer of sheathing either boards or 4'x8' material as in plywood or osb (oriented strand board).

The house wrap would typically be right under the siding and could be just tar paper which is fine.

However, some houses apply the siding to strapping without the sheathing. Others may use some type of fiber material in place of the sheathing.

Sort it out for us as it affects your answer.

Bud
Bud9051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2018, 04:17 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply after the vinyl siding there is some type of OSB board then the stud wall. The building was built in the 70's and was used as a work shop. I am converting it to a living space and would like to make it as airtight as possible before I put up the sheetrock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2018, 04:36 PM   #4

I really like having either tar paper or house wrap under the vinyl siding as vinyl barely keeps the rain out. The house wrap serves as the drainage plane and is incorporated into window and door flashing. House wrap or tar paper are vapor permeable and allow drying to the outside. But that wasn't your question .

Cellulose in the walls will be fine, often called dense pack which involves the technique used to install it.

The only added step I would suggest is a case of caulking, I like simple construction adhesive. I like the large tubes of Loctite PL3. It's slow to cure but once it does it will stay forever and less expensive. But sealing air leakage is a high priority. Avoiding a vapor barrier on the exterior ensures the walls will be able to dry. I wouldn't use a vapor barrier on the inside either, citation available.

Bud

Forgot to mention, I believe all cellulose uses the boric acid.
As a note, an alternative to the cellulose might be Roxul, very dense and DIY friendly.

Last edited by Bud9051; 08-14-2018 at 04:39 PM.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:06 PM   #5

Appreciate your suggestions. I understand about the wrap but since the vinyl siding was already installed before I am working on everything from the inside. I had thought of using an XPS blue foam board and then sealing the edges with foam and then use the cellulose. But if you think the walls need to breath I will just use the cellulose.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:55 PM   #6

Blue foam board will work as long as it doesn't have a plastic or foil coating. 1" of blue does allow some drying. Installing a real vapor barrier like plastic or foil would not be good.

Bud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement