Cathedral Ceiling Insulation Limitations. And Keeping Taxes Low - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-24-2019, 10:08 AM   #1
Mike K

Rewards Points: 93

Cathedral ceiling insulation limitations. And keeping taxes low

Hello everyone.

I have Cathedral trusses, but no overhanging soffit. Its a mobile home and my tenant says propane and electric are 160 a month. I may decide to retire at this property in 5 years because taxes are a tenth of what I pay for my town house, so I'm considering blowing some fiberglass into the attic space when I replace the roof this summer.

But my question is whether its even worth adding insulation, when the tails of the Cathedral trusses are only 4" tall? Seems to me it wouldn't make much difference in efficiency if you had R 30 in the middle, but tapering to R 11 at the outside 2x4 wall.

I keep thinking of other energy efficient methods, like adding 2x4's on top of each truss hanging over 12" then blowing in and adding 2" of foam between the new trusses giving a little space for ventilation with ventilated soffit and ridge. But the home wasn't designed to hold another roof and will it be worth the effort (>$10K) to keep taxes low? Because even though the mobile home is solid and would serve its purpose, it has crap windows and R11 everywhere else to..
rebar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2019, 10:23 AM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 14,264

Re: Cathedral ceiling insulation limitations. And keeping taxes low

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebar View Post
Hello everyone.

I have Cathedral trusses, but no overhanging soffit. Its a mobile home and my tenant says propane and electric are 160 a month. I may decide to retire at this property in 5 years because taxes are a tenth of what I pay for my town house, so I'm considering blowing some fiberglass into the attic space when I replace the roof this summer.

But my question is whether its even worth adding insulation, when the tails of the Cathedral trusses are only 4" tall? Seems to me it wouldn't make much difference in efficiency if you had R 30 in the middle, but tapering to R 11 at the outside 2x4 wall.

I keep thinking of other energy efficient methods, like adding 2x4's on top of each truss hanging over 12" then blowing in and adding 2" of foam between the new trusses giving a little space for ventilation with ventilated soffit and ridge. But the home wasn't designed to hold another roof and will it be worth the effort (>$10K) to keep taxes low? Because even though the mobile home is solid and would serve its purpose, it has crap windows and R11 everywhere else to..
The 2x4 tails are not necessarily an indication of the heel height that is available,, when more is needed the best bet is to pull the ceiling drywall and add to the depth of the truss from inside.

This picture shows a raised heel. Measuring inside to the ceiling and outside to the tails would tell the story.
Attached Thumbnails
Cathedral ceiling insulation limitations. And keeping taxes low-raised-heel-truss-american-plywood-association.jpg  
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2019, 11:16 AM   #3
Mike K

I think you may have missed the part about this being a mobile home with no soffit.

This is a picture of another trailer, but there is no more than 4" of space for insulation over the outside walls.
Attached Thumbnails
Cathedral ceiling insulation limitations. And keeping taxes low-20150217_225537-1-.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2019, 11:18 AM   #4
Mike K

This is the actual mobile home..
Attached Images

Old 04-24-2019, 11:22 AM   #5
Mike K

Its pretty out there..
Attached Thumbnails
Cathedral ceiling insulation limitations. And keeping taxes low-img_0221.jpg   Cathedral ceiling insulation limitations. And keeping taxes low-img_0218.jpg   Cathedral ceiling insulation limitations. And keeping taxes low-img_0523.jpg  
Old 04-24-2019, 01:12 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 4,742

Nice country !
You are correct that adding what you can to the ceiling will only add a small improvement to the overall energy issue. Mobile homes just are not built to be energy efficient and making improvements everywhere is not very cost effective.

You can do a DIY energy audit and plug in new numbers where you might make improvements and calculate the annual savings, I do that for people a lot. Windows are a common issue. A salesman will claim new windows will cut the heating bills by 50%, not going to happen. There are online programs to help.

Bud
Advertisement