Can Rigid Foam Board Have An Air Space Between It And The Studs. Basement Wall - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-25-2018, 10:16 AM   #1

Can rigid foam board have an air space between it and the studs. Basement wall

I finishing a part of my basement and I want to put rigid insulation>studs>batt insulation in stud bay>drywall.

I have a wall that has copper pipes, pvc pipes,conduit, and gas pipes flush to the concrete wall. There is also a main clean out on the floor that's about 2 inches away from the concrete wall.

I'm thinking about moving the pipes off the concrete and putting rigid insulation on the wall. Then frame my wall in front of the main clean out.

Is it okay to have an air gap of about 4in from the rigid insulation to the studs? Also is there a better way to insulate this wall because it requires moving a lot pipes.
Attached Thumbnails
Can rigid foam board have an air space between it and the studs. Basement wall-received_2088026197897130_1527261344492.jpeg  
doubleaa93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2018, 10:42 AM   #2
Breakin' Stuff

Rewards Points: 1,374

Re: Can rigid foam board have an air space between it and the studs. Basement wall

I think you would want the insulation behind the pipes. Have you thought about walling off the washer and dryer altogether? Put in a wall & door, then leave the laundry room unfinished.
Advertisement