Blow In Insulation Into Rafters - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-20-2016, 04:10 PM   #1
Chicago, Illinois

Rewards Points: 20

Blow in insulation into Rafters

1906 American Four square house with balloon framing and dormered 2nd floor. I received a quote for blow in cellulose. We can't secure baffles in every rafter since 2nd floor is partially dormered. In the undormered areas my rafters have about 5-10 ft of space that is covered over with drywall from my 2nd floor ceiling. I do not have access to staple the baffles but I can slide them down in there. My house does have visual sunlight that appear to have breathable working soffits. The light that I see is from and 1 1/2" crack in my eaves which are from my gutter slightly falling. I do not have vents underneath the eaves or soffits just the space I mentioned which may disappear once I get new gutters. My concern is that if they just blow insulation in to all my rafters without putting any baffles am I inviting a bad scenario of ice damning to occur? Should I have them attempt to slide the baffles in without being able to secure them to the roof and to then blow insulation over the baffle. sounds a bit 1/2 ASS I know. I have about 1000sq of space in attic and was able to install 8 baffles from both bath ooms I had renovated. 5 on one side of house and 3 on the other side of house all in the same area.

Last edited by HAVOC88; 01-20-2016 at 04:13 PM. Reason: corrected title.
HAVOC88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2016, 10:30 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,570

Any pictures?

You are in a bit of a pinch. Some folks will dense pack those sections if the venting of the roof is otherwise sufficient. If that blocks off a bunch of the soffits, it can create other issues.

While it isn't ideal, you can sometimes snake the baffle down there with some batt insulation behind it.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2016, 01:11 PM   #3
Chicago, Illinois

Rewards Points: 20

I Imagined snaking the baffles in only with blow in afterward. I would think the nails from the shingles would catch the batt insulation.
HAVOC88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2016, 01:23 PM   #4
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,570

Slide then down together...but you are probably right. Can't tell for sure without seeing it.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
blow in insulation , cellulose insulation , insulate attic