Black Speckled Pattern On Faced Insulation Behind Shower. Mold? - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Taymar

Old 08-20-2018, 12:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 42

Black speckled pattern on faced insulation behind shower. Mold?

Hi all,

I've been investigating a damp odor in my upstairs room, and had the chance to poke an inspection camera into the faucet, dial, and showerhead openings of a tiled shower.

I noticed that the faced insulation behind it appears to have a fairly uniform black speckled 'pattern' covering it. My first thought was mold but there are a few things that don't add up for me:

1. none of the timber framing or surrounding unfaced insulation has this pattern on it

2. I don't get a strong odor from these openings, but do get a damp odor sometimes from the AC vents and from behind a couple of electrical outlets when the AC is blowing.

3. it doesn't seem like I can 'scrape' it off with the end of the camera.

I've attached a couple of pictures. the insulation (as best I can tell) is Owens Corning R-19 faced insulation.

Is there any other explanation for what this might be, or is it almost definitely mold?

thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Black speckled pattern on faced insulation behind shower. Mold?-dcim0040.jpg   Black speckled pattern on faced insulation behind shower. Mold?-dcim0042.jpg   Black speckled pattern on faced insulation behind shower. Mold?-dcim0047.jpg   Black speckled pattern on faced insulation behind shower. Mold?-dcim0050.jpg  

Last edited by Taymar; 08-20-2018 at 12:22 PM.
Taymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2018, 12:10 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 676

Re: Black speckled pattern on faced insulation behind shower. Mold?

I don't think that is mold but mold would be lower in the wall if it is anywhere.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2018, 07:59 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 42

Re: Black speckled pattern on faced insulation behind shower. Mold?

Thank you very much. I found identical looking insulation in the attic and indeed, it was not mold. The facing on the insulation seemed to be two layers - one looked like black sheeting and one brown paper looking. As best I could tell, the black speckling is simply the black layer of facing showing through the brown layer in places.
Nealtw likes this.
Taymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement