Best Insulation For Finished Attic Walls - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-15-2018, 08:01 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 16

Best insulation for finished attic walls

Hello all, I don't have any pictures right now but it's a simple situation that should be easy to imagine. I live in western NY and it gets really hot and really cold. I'm new to insulation practices, and want to find out what's the best/cheapest solution for what I can do in my house. On the second floor of our... Cape Cod I guess? It has half of the attic finished, half of it unfinished. I'm trying to figure out the best type of insulation for the wall studs on the outside of the finished area. I can currently get to 2/6 sides. There are typical batts of pink insulation there now, and I'm going to plan on wrapping the entire underside of the roof with thermal barrier, but I'm getting ice damming on the front and back of the house, and am working to stop that. I understand there is supposed to be something blocking the warm air underneath the finished part from reaching the unfinished area, so I know I have to add... something there. I know the wall paneling that's tragically there should be upgraded to drywall, but how much would that help? That's a lot of work I don't want. I am also considering adding a ridge vent for better ventilation, as the only vents now are a few small vents, so it's holding in warm air. Thanks! I'll try to get pics.
RochesterBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2018, 09:13 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 304

Re: Best insulation for finished attic walls

Hi Ben, I live in a cape so very familiar with what they need. Below is a related ling on those kneewalls and another on insulation code requirements. The link on code insulation requirements id based upon the 2009 energy codes but your local building department may be using older or newer guidelines, you need to check.

http://www.finehomebuilding.com/2012...ttic-kneewalls

https://energycode.pnl.gov/EnergyCodeReqs/

Pictures will be nice.

Bud
Bud9051 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bud9051 For This Useful Post:
RochesterBen (02-15-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement