Best Affordable Insulation For Metal Building? - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree6Likes

Old 10-31-2019, 02:36 PM   #1
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 66

Best Affordable Insulation For Metal Building?

I am buying/renting a larger metal storage shed than our carport/garage which I was using for my wood shop. What would be the best affordable insulation for the building? It is wood framed with all exterior painted tin. I plan to put an window AC and heat in it so I can work out there when it is not nice outside.

Lawyers believe a man is innocent until proven broke.

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/forum.php

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2019, 02:40 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 5,866

Re: Best Affordable Insulation For Metal Building?

Fiberglass...to be honest. Cover it with some paper or housewrap on the inside if your run it unfaced. Foam will require a cover and will be expensive.
BigJim likes this.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2019, 03:03 PM   #3
retired framer

Rewards Points: 44

It's a catch 22. Foam needs to be covered, paper faced is a fire hazard, bats not tight enough may allow cold and warm to meet with the dust of a wood shop you have everything you need for mold.

I did a garage with bats, and when a friend was shutting down his cupboard shop I got a stack of some 1/8 hardboard with a white finish cheap. I put that up with 1/2 staples and found white tape to cover the joints. It wasn't pretty but it seemed to do the job.
BigJim likes this.
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2019, 03:24 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 6,760

It will be important to prevent the warm inside air from reaching the inside surface of that cold metal where it will form condensation. The air barrier you install needs to be air sealed and also rigid. Flexible plastic ultimately leaks and pumps air through as it bellows in and out. Drywall is often the best air barrier. In a shop you might use osb.

Bud
BigJim likes this.
Old 10-31-2019, 06:06 PM   #5
Ole Wood Worker

What do you think about Bubble Foil Radiant Insulation. I have never used it but from my searches it says it is good for metal buildings. It is a radiant heat barrier, that leaves convection and conduction heat transfer. Would the Double Bubble Foil Insulation be enough without the fiberglass batts.

There is new stuff all the time. Just another thought, If I used the bubble foil would it be any good if I used sheet rock over it? I am leaning more toward just fiberglass batts, but if the metal sweats and the fiberglass gets wet, there goes the insulation value. The spray styrofoam is way out of my reach. I would love to have blown cellulose but it would get wet also and be worse than the fiberglass.

The rock insulation is new to me but from what I hear it is about as good as it gets.

It really don't get bad cold down this way any more, but man it sure gets bad hot. It may see the teens in the winter a few times but most times it is in the 40s and 50s.

Jim
Old 10-31-2019, 06:11 PM   #6
retired framer

What about the roof, ceiling what have you?
Old 10-31-2019, 06:34 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 136

Check craigslist or such for used boards. In nj and found such an outfit in ny but drives too far and I have to rent a truck to bring all back in one trip, so the cost was about the same as buying new. ISO boards are commercially used so lot of them reclaimed.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 07:48 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 642

In my opinion you don't get much R value with the foil bubble radiant insulation . You need to be thinking more like it's a house , I imagine in the summer there it's mid 90's and humid you don't want your electric meter spinning like a router . For the AC/heat to be somewhat efficient you need to eliminate drafts , insulate well and seal the interior . By seal the interior I mean tape all drywall joints or caulk all plywood seams if you use plywood as your interior finish . And as already asked what is your finished ceiling ?

How large is this building ? Is it unreasonable to remove the metal siding , put up some house wrap and reinstall the metal ? The house wrap is a great barrier between the metal and the insulation . I would go with conventional kraft faced fiberglass insulation and then your interior sheathing of choice . The ceiling needs at least R38 or it will be a cooker in the sun .
Porsche986S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 10:31 PM   #9
Ole Wood Worker

carpdad, ISO is what I would love to have but it is way higher used, than regular fiberglass batts. The building is 10X20, right now the ceiling is just enough joists to keep the walls from spreading. I had planned to insulate the roof and leave the ceiling open to store longer lumber over head. I may just go ahead and put a ceiling in and make a longer lumber rack right at the ceiling. Hmmm I think I like that idea better than leaving the ceiling open.

They sure don't build these buildings like I would. It is just enough materials to hold it together. Studs are 32" OC and three ceiling joists. You know all of this is going to change.

When I was building, I didn't do very much insulating, I subed that out.

The reason I am going with this building is I am downsizing and want to use more hand tools like planes and such. I am selling my Unisaw and already bought another jobsite table saw, just not enough room for the Unisaw.

I may put the Bubble foil on the rafters and go with the R19 batts in the ceiling.

Porsche, the humidity is really bad here, probably not as bad as down your way though. I built a huge horse barn several years ago and in the mornings it looked like it was raining inside. I sure don't want that. So far it hasn't done that in the building I have. There is zero vents in this building but that will change also.

Jim
Old 11-01-2019, 08:09 AM   #10

Didn't realize your wall studs are 32 " OC , if that is the case I would go with 3 " thick rigid foam for insulation . Cut the foam a little short and spot glue it to the backside of the metal siding . After the adhesive dries fill the voids around the foam panel with expanding foam . The rigid foam is a vapor barrier and sealing it with foam stops any drafts from coming in . Assuming your wall studs are 2x4 if you can find 3 1/2 " foam even better to fill the entire cavity . Check around on Craigslist or Facebook Market place to see if there are vendors that sell recycled foam board it can save you a lot of money .

Ceiling/roof there is no way this building will be energy efficient if you don't do something here . You will get so much heat transfer through the roof your AC will work like crazy . Two schools of thought here , you add soffit vents and roof vent at the peak and you enclose the roof trusses . This creates an air path to flow from bottom to top . But no insulation so you are completely relying on air current and maybe a reflective surface like foil or similar to keep heat out . The 2nd school of thought is no venting and insulate as much as possible maybe similar to what I described above . The theory is the insulation keeps the heat out and if weather sealed no reason needed for ventilation . Many foam insulation companies when foaming a house with roof vents will foam right over them to seal them up . I always had a little feeling this might not be the way to go but LOTS of houses are done that way .

Last piece of the puzzle is the door/s , generally in this type of building they leave a lot to be desired for sealing and closing well . Again insulate them well and weatherstrip accordingly to eliminate as much air intrusion as possible . Have fun with it and post updates as you go .
Old 11-01-2019, 10:36 AM   #11
Ole Wood Worker

Thanks Porsche, I appreciate your help, I will check to see what I can find on the recycled styrofoam, that is a good idea.

Jim
Old 11-02-2019, 07:48 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
Thanks Porsche, I appreciate your help, I will check to see what I can find on the recycled styrofoam, that is a good idea.
Styrofoam generally is considered the white crap that leaves clingy bits all over the place and is not what I would use . Around here the recyclers are selling cyanoacrylate ( sp ? ) which is usually yellow in color . There are also foam boards that are blue or pink , all three would be acceptable to use .
Old 11-02-2019, 08:02 AM   #13
Ole Wood Worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche986S View Post
Styrofoam generally is considered the white crap that leaves clingy bits all over the place and is not what I would use . Around here the recyclers are selling cyanoacrylate ( sp ? ) which is usually yellow in color . There are also foam boards that are blue or pink , all three would be acceptable to use .
I had to look that one up, new stuff all the time, hard for an old timer to keep up with all the new materials now days.

What I found was that cyanoacrylate is a type of glue. I may not have looked in the right place.

Jim
Old 11-02-2019, 08:23 AM   #14
retired framer

Us old folks don't care much but foam looses R value over time. They look at the 5 year and the 50 year R values when designing big buildings.
Old 11-02-2019, 08:25 AM   #15
retired framer

http://www.forte-eps-solutions.com/s...io-quebec.html
Advertisement